Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Az elk

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Az elk

Drew a cow elk tag for rifle in unit 10 for 2013 early hunt. Never hunted unit 10 and I am the type who glasses for elk. I do the work to make it a point to stay far from others. Any help/suggestions of approx. areas of unit 10 to glass would be a great bonus. Not interested in Boquillas ranch area either... thank you..Catahoula 12

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I have a friend that lives in 10 , but I think he hunts the ranch let me see if he has anything else to offer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey thank you az.mountain runner, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a unit 10 bull tag in 2004. Never saw a bull to pull trigger on. Saw a decent amount of cows though on Nat. Forest near Williams.
    I can't give specifics with out looking at my maps. I don't think you will have a problem filling your tag. A quad helps getting around on forest roads if you have one. It was mud fest 2004 when I was there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    I had a unit 10 bull tag in 2004. Never saw a bull to pull trigger on. Saw a decent amount of cows though on Nat. Forest near Williams.
    I can't give specifics with out looking at my maps. I don't think you will have a problem filling your tag. A quad helps getting around on forest roads if you have one. It was mud fest 2004 when I was there.
    My friend has a unit 10 bull tag for rifle. Not sure of the season dates but must be October. I thought that was supposed to be a top unit. Has it gotten better since 2004. Surprised u didn't see a good bull. He is a very experienced hunter and hunts Arizona frequently does anyone know of the quality of Bull this area holds on public?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00BUCK View Post
    My friend has a unit 10 bull tag for rifle. Not sure of the season dates but must be October. I thought that was supposed to be a top unit. Has it gotten better since 2004. Surprised u didn't see a good bull. He is a very experienced hunter and hunts Arizona frequently does anyone know of the quality of Bull this area holds on public?
    Unit 10 was an excellent unit in 2004. The early hunts (early rifle, early muzzleloader and archery) there are some tremendous bulls available. It is one of the top units in Arizona for a 400+ class bull, though that should not be someone's expectation. The hunter success in Unit 10 has never been as good as Unit 9 next door, I have often tried to get a handle on why. I understand there were some issues this year of getting access.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unit 10 is top notch for bull elk. My friend piled one up in 10 last year, He was about 360. Nice bull. No tag for him this year but as I mentioned on an earlier post I drew a cow tag in unit 10 for 2013 Oct hunt. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. I know there are plenty of cow elk there.. but 10 is a huge area!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Catahoula, First I gotta lay on the sword and say that I drew a late season archery cow tag in area 10 for this year by mistake. I got confused in the online application and blew 8 points. At this point I don't know if I am going to drive to AZ to try to fill the tag because I have heard mixed reviews. I would be really interested in what your observations (or anyone else) when you finish your hunt in area 10. It's not that I am ungrateful to get the tag, but I feel horrible that I blew the points I was building for a special bull hunt. I will definitely be more careful on all of my big game applications from now on. An expensive lesson for sure. Thanks and good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hughes View Post
    Catahoula, First I gotta lay on the sword and say that I drew a late season archery cow tag in area 10 for this year by mistake. I got confused in the online application and blew 8 points. At this point I don't know if I am going to drive to AZ to try to fill the tag because I have heard mixed reviews. I would be really interested in what your observations (or anyone else) when you finish your hunt in area 10. It's not that I am ungrateful to get the tag, but I feel horrible that I blew the points I was building for a special bull hunt. I will definitely be more careful on all of my big game applications from now on. An expensive lesson for sure. Thanks and good luck!
    I know a max point holder that accidentally put in for the wrong tag, bummer to hear that. Nothing to do now but make the best of your hunt. Good luck
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    T Hughes, I let you know if I fill my tag for Oct 18 hunt. Mistakes are made all the time but if you drew late archery for cow elk at least come and try to fill your tag for meat and start all over. I never do the online application... ever. Fill out paper app and send a check in.