Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When I was applying to colleges (way back), I wanted to go to Humboldt state in Arcata, Ca. I visited there and they had (and still have) nationally recognized Fisheries & Wildlife Mgmt programs. Unfortunated they did not offer athletic scholorships and I had several offers pending, so I went to another University. Played football and got my degree (BS in Management). Worked in another field, but always wondered what would have happened with my life if I really did what I dreamed of doing then. Surley would have made lots less $$$, but who knows. My advice is (from an old retired coot) ...FOLLOW YOUR DREAM....you'll never regret it!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Amen. Follow your dream. I'm a database analyst. I earn a good living, but I'd take 1/2 the pay to do biology fieldwork.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    My original department head blew smoke up my a$$ about how great the job market was when I entered the program.
    They still tell people how great the job market is going to be in a couple years. Rather than wait for all these jobs to open, I think the biggest thing is to work hard. Let your hard work do your marketing for you and you'll be just fine. Also, once you enter into the field, your world will get EXTREMELY small so don't burn any bridges.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didn't mean to imply that you didn't work hard, Crimson. I just thought it was funny that they tell us the same thing that they told you when you were in the program.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by buckifan21 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that you didn't work hard, Crimson. I just thought it was funny that they tell us the same thing that they told you when you were in the program.
    I know you meant nothing by your comment, but you're right. To follow a chosen career path, a person must work hard and be willing to sacrifice some things. When I graduated, I was in a committed relationship with the woman who has now been my wife for 13 years. I needed to start making money so we could move on with our lives together, and there were no such opportunities where we wanted to live. More than likely, these 'recruiters' told us what we wanted to hear because in most schools the wildlife/aquatic biology programs are small and at risk of being dissolved into the general biology programs. Of the approximately 15 people in my program, I know of 2 who are working in the aquatic biology field. You must be willing to work temporary, seasonal jobs, and take anything in any state.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.