Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is considered an outfitted hunt?

I heard if you had contact with a packer or outfitter for two days, that would qualify as an outfitted hunt in New Mexico. I've been in touch with a outfitter who does drop camps encase I am fortunate to draw the unit I put in for. I really don't want to be guided, but would use some one to set us up in a drop camp, especially if it bumps my odds up.

My question is does anybody have clarification as to what really qualifies? The outfitter says the drop camp would not qualify as an outfitted hunt. Maybe he just doesn't want to pack us in since the new rule may have drummed up more hunts with him. Should I talk to another outfitter?

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    From what I understand, contracting with an outfitter for 2 days (1 for packing in, 1 for packing out) qualifies you for the outfitter pool. I've noticed a few outfitters that advertise this as well..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Last year they really cracked down on everyone for this. (c) A New Mexico outfitter shall ensure that the hunter-client is accompanied by the outfitter or
    their registered guide for at least two days in the area where the hunter-client’s license is valid. There is no specific
    time requirement per day, but shall be specified per the outfitter’s contract with the hunter-client. Failure for an
    outfitter to specify this allotted time requirement in their contract with a hunter-client shall be considered misconduct
    Happy Huntin!
    Trifecta Outdoors
    Jared Robinson
    505-692-0710

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifecta Outdoors View Post
    Last year they really cracked down on everyone for this. (c) A New Mexico outfitter shall ensure that the hunter-client is accompanied by the outfitter or
    their registered guide for at least two days in the area where the hunter-client’s license is valid. There is no specific
    time requirement per day, but shall be specified per the outfitter’s contract with the hunter-client. Failure for an
    outfitter to specify this allotted time requirement in their contract with a hunter-client shall be considered misconduct
    So, to me, that says a pack in and a pack out qualifies.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like it would. Now all you have to do is find an outfitter that will do it. What unit were you looking to hunt?
    Happy Huntin!
    Trifecta Outdoors
    Jared Robinson
    505-692-0710

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We were giving 16B/22 as our first choice. The above is what I read before, but the outfit I was in contact with didn't think it was so or just wasn't interested in doing it. I'll have to check around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NM has gotten pretty tight on all the rules, particularly where the hated non resident is included. Pretty sure the 2 days for pack in and pack out would only work if they were within your hunting days. I would not want to waste 2 of my hunting days packing in and packing out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
    NM has gotten pretty tight on all the rules, particularly where the hated non resident is included. Pretty sure the 2 days for pack in and pack out would only work if they were within your hunting days. I would not want to waste 2 of my hunting days packing in and packing out.
    Hoss, NM only hates you if you are a DIYer. They love wealthy NR's.

I went through all the rules last year. Any outfitter service of any kind that includes a written contract for guiding or any other service would qualify. It has few limitations. Very bad "law" ripe for abuse.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the replies. Been looking and writing trying to find interested packers. Not much luck. Guess I can't blame them if they have other higher paying clients or those who want drop camps. NM was about as reasonable as you could expect for a fair chance at drawing a good limited entry unit. I do the points games in most states, but I liked having at least one state where you didn't have to spend years trying to build points. There was always that extra excitement that I may get lucky.

I don't like being guided, I like doing it all DIY, its just my preference. Nothing against it. Forcing you to use guides to have a decent chance of drawing, is just as bad if not worse than having to build points IMO. At least when I decide to burn my max points in WY, I'll get to hunt my way. Guess it will all boil down to money in the end.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out San Juan river outfitters.. I don't know anything about them, other than the fact that their site shows they offer drop camps in several units.