Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts

Nevada Missed Money

So since I have killed both my NV antelope and bull, I have been irritated that NV has waiting periods for successful hunters. I don't fully understand the "allowing others the opportunity to draw a tag" claim, isn't that what the bonus points are for?? I decided to calculate missed money the NDOW would have gotten from last year's successful antelope tag holders as well as money missed from last year's bull tag holders for residents. If those same folks decided to apply for these species again this year, NDOW would have received in predator and app fees $22,009 for antelope and $23,364 for bull elk. Wouldn't you think that money would be useful in getting control of predators as well as improving burned areas? Am I over thinking this and the waiting period is good for something I am completely overlooking??

Thanks for letting me rant for a second.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 9 Posts
    Ummm well I've always felt it was ok because it was a management tool for keeping trophy quality. Would I love to hunt bull elk and antelope every year? Yes I would but I am willing to wait to keep the trophy quality up. As far as the money. Ya I would think they would love to have it.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Waiting periods are a good thing. Tags are hard enough to draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Im sure each person that is ineligible in the draw participates in the silver state or other raffle. I think allowing bonus points to be purchased while ineligible would be a good idea though. After your 10 years is up for elk you should be able to hunt one of your top choices.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    For me and a few guys we try for the Bull Elk depredation tags, cow elk tags, doe Antelope tags while we wait. Also give the option of hunting out of state knowing we won't draw the good tags for our home state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    While your calculator is out, look at how much better the odds were for you to draw your antelope and elk tags because of the waiting period rule. Who's to say the waiting period for those who drew before you isn't what allowed you to draw? And from a pure monetary standpoint, 22 and 23k isn't that much compared to the total that the state raises in app and tag fees every year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    BigSurArcher, good point with the draw odds, I never really looked at it that way. As far as quality goes, the trophy wouldn't change if I was able to apply every year as long as quotas don't go ridiculous. I just would like to hunt my state for elk regularly, especially now that I am learning some areas extensively and see gigantic bulls every year. I too put in for the depredation hunts, and if I do not draw will attempt secoond draw cow if one is available I am interested in. Good point IKIC on the out of state opportunity, my buddy and I are both in the NV waiting period, so we are thinking about heading to ID for an archery OTC tag. I get butterflies just thinking about that trip, anxiety kept me up all night the other day.

I do think NV is money hungry, don't see any other reason for the ridiculous tag quota increase last year. But, overall, I guess I really don't have anything to complain about. Thanks for the replies, you brought up some valid points I overlooked, thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I heard yesterday from a guy that Nv F&G says if you put in for cow your gonna have greater odds then normal. He said they want to thin herds down especially cows.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I heard yesterday from a guy that Nv F&G says if you put in for cow your gonna have greater odds then normal. He said they want to thin herds down especially cows.
    I assume this is an effort to reduce some of the interspecific competition for the mule deer herds? This is just my opinion, but I think the increased elk abundance puts as much or more pressure on the mule deer as increased mule deer tag quotas... yet the vast majority of people seem to blame the tag quotas alone. IMO mule deer are affected most my habitat loss/destruction, then competition with other species (elk + predation), then by overexploitation by too many tags (these past few years).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man I am so glad I live in NM. I have never been a fan of the points system. It takes way to long to draw a good unit and the luck of the draw is a much better system and it is exciting because you could draw a fantastic trophy game unit every year. Just my two cents