Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

Cracked Stock Help

I have a gun that I acquired some time back that has a crack in the stock extending from the butt plate, about an inch in from the toe, in about 6 or 8" inches towards the grip area. It's a wood stock and the grain seems such that the "piece" is held pretty firmly on the grip end. It's an older crack and the wood has shifted and lifted some, so the crack is more than a hairline.

My question is what type of glue do you use, or would you recommend using, to fix a crack like this? I'm thinking of using a pin also?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What kind of a gun ? If it is a 2 piece stock, then there will be a hole in the middle for the thru bolt to attach it to the action. The type of grain can really effect the type of repair you do. I am assuming the wood is walnut.

There are a couple of things you can do. Make a small wedge(plastic, wood, etc) and force the crack open a small amount. Then inject some epoxy into the crack. Remove the wedge and clamp the crack shut until the epoxy cures. If you have injected enough epoxy into the crack, you should get a little "squeeze out" of the adhesive.

The other thing you can do is remove the buttplate/recoil pad and drill a small hole at about a 45 degree angle to the stock surface and counterbore. You can install a small angled head screww in the hole and close up the crack. The counterbore should be deep enought so there is nothing left above the cbore to hit the buttplate. it will be cover up by the buttplate.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the tips, CC. I know this is a big game forum, but it's on a shotgun I acquired.

You mentioned epoxy, what kind? I've heard it best not to use the 5-minute stuff.

I have also heard good stuff about the polyurethane glues like gorilla glue as long as you clamp it and wipe off any excess as it expands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bell and Carlson makes really good aftermarket shotgun stocks fwiw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks DR, but I'd like to stick with wood.

Forgot to mention, CC, that yes it is walnut.

The split is repairable, it's a matter of how good it will look and how long it will last.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most any of the 2 part clear epoxys are fine. Just wipe off the squeeze out. It should last a long time given you can get enought epoxy into the crack. What make shotgun is it? I used to do a lot of stock work and still do some for friends. The wood on some of the newer, less expensive guns is not real walnut, just stained to look like it. Thats why I asked what make it is.

The shringes I use are the kind that I buy for injecting air into night crawlers and i get them at fishing shops. They have really big holes in them so the epoxy will flow thru them.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the tips, CC. I was thinking about syringes, but could only think of the food injector kind, which I was pretty sure the needle would be too big to do much good at the end of the crack that I needed it most.

The gun is an Ithaca mod. 100 (SKB). Pretty sure it's walnut.

I swapped e-mails awhile back with a few stock-maker/repairers and their estimates were $300 but most likely up to or over $500. The end of the toe is broken off (1/4" or so at the butt plate) and a piece will need to be spliced in, which adds to the cost. Anyway, based on the value of the gun, figured I'd give it a try myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have 2 SKB's, a 100 and a 200. I have restocked the 200. I also have a spare buttstock as SKB stocks are very prone to cracking. I use mine for competition cowboy shooting. They are really fine shotguns and worth quite a bit, usually 7 to 8 hundred. I bought the semi inletted blank for about $100. If you have a problem PM me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CC. Will do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just had a Winchester M70 stock repaired at the handle/receiver area. The gunsmith charged me $100.00. He said he likes to break the stock completely, so he can clean out all the oil that might have worked it's way inside the crack. He likes to use a spray on oil degreaser. If the stock has any oil residue, the glue will not get a good grip and the wood will split again. Good luck with your project.