Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rookie Help for Mule Deer

My dad and I are looking to put a hunt together for the fall of 2014 for mulies. We went on an antelope hunt two falls ago and got the western hunting bug right now. Being from flat land corn country Minnesota we are wet behind the ears to say the least. We have just been buying points the last few seasons so we will be going into next years draw with 2 each. Just some basic questions I have to maybe guide us in the right direction. The thought I have as far as applying for our first tag is to apply for a limited unit that has draw odds around where we are with points and with second choice do a general season. Does that make sense or am I way off? Thought was if we didn't get first choice limited we keep our points and if we do a general season we have more area to familiarize ourselves with western hunting. Or would we be better off focusing on a limited quota unit that we would almost be a guarantee for and focusing all efforts on that area. I'm hesitant to do that just because we have no idea where to start and how land access will be. Any pointers are appreciated. A lot of great info on here already so thanks for the help!

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    As a non-res, there are no "general deer" tags. Aside from the limited units, A non-res has to focus on a specific zone. (A,G,K,Y,E etc..). Unlike residents where i can buy a general tag for deer and use it all over the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah sorry not to clarify that. I understand the general tag for non res is a specific zone (A,G,M,etc.) still. Even with a general unit would the option of having more area to work with be that much more of a benefit as compared to a limited quota unit for a first timer. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Limited quota units are normally better. If you only have a couple points you are a long way off from drawing a premier unit with preference points (probably something like 12-15 years with point creep). You do have a chance any year to draw in the random draw, in CERTAIN units. Some units have so few tags, there are no tags issued in the random draw.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)