Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Sights

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Sights

    I'm going to upgrading the sight on my bow before summer comes, any suggestions for the $125 budget?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
    Congratulations
    62
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    My one piece of advice is to get one that has pins available in the .01 size. For me, I like the smallest pin I can get my hands on for longer ranges. I think Apex and Trophy Ridge make some decent sights in your price range with the smaller pins for the longer distances. How many pins are you looking for in the sight? Do you have a preference?
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 111 Times in 88 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    You can get some good deals on Archery, Talk if you don't mind buying used. I picked up a Spot Hogg for over $100 cheaper than brand new.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would like 5 pins and I agree with the smaller pins. once you get out there a ways the pin can cover the target making it hard to be accurate.

    is archery talk a forum or website? never heard of it... not opposed to used as long as it is in the right condition.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Laramie WY
    Posts
    641
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 111 Times in 88 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornhunter View Post

    is archery talk a forum or website? never heard of it... not opposed to used as long as it is in the right condition.
    It's a forum, I bought a sight and just got another bow. Sometimes there are deals just to good to pass up. As far as sights go. I have only used Spot Hogg, and Axcel. Both are above your budget but worth the money.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    My one piece of advice is to get one that has pins available in the .01 size. For me, I like the smallest pin I can get my hands on for longer ranges. I think Apex and Trophy Ridge make some decent sights in your price range with the smaller pins for the longer distances. How many pins are you looking for in the sight? Do you have a preference?
    tdcour, I think you meant the .10 size not the .01 because trying to see a pin that is .01 would be hard. To be honest there are draw backs to getting smaller pins as well. In low light, they are harder to see. If you have plenty of light the smaller pins are definately better. I like the .19 pin size because I think it has the best of both worlds (pin brightness and accuracy). Pin size helps with accuracy but like most archery equiptment, the biggest way to improve accuracy is to practice.
    As far as bow sights go I would highly reccomend the trophy ridge alpha v5. It is full metal construction, has vertical pins that dont clutter up the bow sight, micro adjustable pins, and it is only $75 on Gander mountain or amazon. This is what I am going to switch to this summer. Best bow sight for the price IMHO.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Central Kansas
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
    Congratulations
    62
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Thats right dh, mistyped the pin size. I agree with your conclusions about the bigger pins being easier to see. I actually have the bigger pins for my top three pins and my bottom three pins I have the smaller pins. In low light conditions, I gradually move my "confident range" in as darkness approaches. This usually fixes not being able to see the pins for me. I think having the right color pins helps as well. I shoot all green pins on my sight. I have heard yellow is a good color for brightness, but red is not, but that is just what I have heard, so that is something else to think about.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    Thats right dh, mistyped the pin size. I agree with your conclusions about the bigger pins being easier to see. I actually have the bigger pins for my top three pins and my bottom three pins I have the smaller pins. In low light conditions, I gradually move my "confident range" in as darkness approaches. This usually fixes not being able to see the pins for me. I think having the right color pins helps as well. I shoot all green pins on my sight. I have heard yellow is a good color for brightness, but red is not, but that is just what I have heard, so that is something else to think about.
    That's what I want to do with my bow sight eventually. I have a five pin so my strategy is to put two green on top, an orange in the center, and two green beneath the orange. This makes finding the right pin much easier.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleburne Texas
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    try trophy ridge

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,677
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 187 Times in 164 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Spot Hogg are tough as nails and awesome. Highly recommend them.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Muzzleloader sights
    By Muleys 24/7 in forum Guns, Muzzleloaders and Ammo
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-28-2013, 07:10 PM
  2. Slider sights
    By tdcour in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
  3. Muzzleloader sights
    By Fink in forum Guns, Muzzleloaders and Ammo
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM
  4. peep sights
    By rowicki in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
  5. Wyoming sights
    By BigSexy in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •