Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I have had mine for a few years now. I don't have any complaints either. I packed an entire mule deer out three miles with it and never had any issues with it. I did had to add more straps to help secure the load, but the blaze cover that comes with it works pretty well. I would recommend adding more straps though. It seemed to help a lot. I couldn't afford one of the super expensive packs either, so I did some research and bought this one... can't complain. I don't think you will be unhappy for a pack like this for the price.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have used the Alaskan framepack with a day pack for years and have had great success. the noise is overstated as IKIC noted. a little spit or some vasaline goes along way. mine was the old style with the flat shelf. it has the superlite bag with just a giant main compartment and 2 large compartmants on the side.

My brother stole my Nieces new style cabelas guide frame and it works super. it has the adjustable straps. I would buy the frame only. the bags that cabelas offers on this frame weigh a ton and I don't think a bunch of oranization pockets is worth a 3.5 to 4lb bag. My brother packed in for deer last year with the frame and few extra stuff sacks for his gear. If they offered the alaskan II(I think) bag with this frame, that would be a fantastic package IMO.

I can tell you the biggest mistake is loading this pack wrong. this has the bar on the bottom that folds up and compresses the load. This is really nice. the trick is to load it flat and suck it all down and "up" the pack instead of letting it all settle down in a pile at the bottom.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I have used the Alaskan framepack with a day pack for years and have had great success. the noise is overstated as IKIC noted. a little spit or some vasaline goes along way. mine was the old style with the flat shelf. it has the superlite bag with just a giant main compartment and 2 large compartmants on the side.

My brother stole my Nieces new style cabelas guide frame and it works super. it has the adjustable straps. I would buy the frame only. the bags that cabelas offers on this frame weigh a ton and I don't think a bunch of oranization pockets is worth a 3.5 to 4lb bag. My brother packed in for deer last year with the frame and few extra stuff sacks for his gear. If they offered the alaskan II(I think) bag with this frame, that would be a fantastic package IMO.

I can tell you the biggest mistake is loading this pack wrong. this has the bar on the bottom that folds up and compresses the load. This is really nice. the trick is to load it flat and suck it all down and "up" the pack instead of letting it all settle down in a pile at the bottom.
    Great advice! Thank you. I have a birthday coming up in a couple weeks. Hoping for some Cabelas bucks to help me out with the expense of this pack. If I get enough I may go with the Alaskan II. I am mostly going off the weight listed on their web page. I've gotten more real world advise off this thread then any other place I've posted or looked at. Thanks again!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 72 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post

Can't agree more. It's very easy to over pack and the compress shelf def helps with keeping load centered.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 72 Times in 9 Posts
    I'll be on two bull elk hunts this year and more then likely two mule deer hunts and all of them will be pack hunts. This pack is going to get another years workout but I know it will work perfect like always.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.