Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's not that I have eagle eyes. Just the opposite actually. As some of you know I still hunt the timber. Some hunters will use low power binos for still hunting, but over the years ive gotten pretty good at spotting parts of game showing behind tress, rocks etc. with my eyes only.

So, i'm always in iron sight range. If I can't spot the game with my eyes. I sure can't hit it with iron sights.

Sorry, to be off topic. I just thought i'd mention the other side of glassing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I'm kinda like Old Hunter. I've never owned a spottng scope. I use bino's when scouting, but don't always carry them when hunting. I did use glass when I went sheep hunting though. I borrowed a Spotting scope from a friend, but I used my 10x bino's for spotting. I used the scope to verify. Ihad a tough time trying to use the spotting scope for glassing. I would glass one canoyn for 5-6 hrs then move on, It was hard to sit that long, but I knew there were sheep there, they just had to be in the right spot to see them. The funny thing is, the ram I shot, I spotted with my naked eye at over a mile away.
    I think it depends on the terrain. I can easily find bucks at a mile out or more with binocs or even naked eye but what you need the glass for is to field judge that buck at a mile or more to decide if he is big enough to take the hike. Where we hunt it may only be a mile so as the crow flies but when you hike up and down the canyons to get to the buck its much more.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I think it depends on the terrain. I can easily find bucks at a mile out or more with binocs or even naked eye but what you need the glass for is to field judge that buck at a mile or more to decide if he is big enough to take the hike..

Terrain/location is definatly what it depends on. In Oregon If you can see the rack from a mile away with bino's, it's worth going after, there's not alot of field judging going on here!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    It's not that I have eagle eyes. Just the opposite actually. As some of you know I still hunt the timber. Some hunters will use low power binos for still hunting, but over the years ive gotten pretty good at spotting parts of game showing behind tress, rocks etc. with my eyes only.

So, i'm always in iron sight range. If I can't spot the game with my eyes. I sure can't hit it with iron sights.

Sorry, to be off topic. I just thought i'd mention the other side of glassing.
    I'm enjoying reading the book you mentioned - "The Still Hunter." I think it is going to come in very handy for muzzy hunting this fall. I can tell that your perspectives are not that different from the author's. I ran across these sentences and thought of this thread: "A good glass is a great help in a large open country; but you must not allow yourself to depend on it, and should use it only when you have to. In timber it will generally be of little use, though if you must carry a lot of things it will do no harm and may be useful." I thought that was pretty funny - "though if you must carry a lot of things it will do no harm..."

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some things are stuck way back in our minds, and we forget where we got them. Then again, my dad never used binos, so i'm sure it came from there too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll use binos to find and spotter to judge. Sometimes pick apart cover with the spotting scope as well. I wouldn't say there's a set distance, it really depends on the backdrop and how well things are blending in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use my optics to glass everything and as far as possible as well as close. Sure, you may not be able to get to a big ole muley in the same day you spotted him but tomorrow is another day. I'm looking for big animals no matter how far away they are and I'm gonna try and do what it takes to get to him. Finding him is half the battle and optics are the tool to find them. fatrascal.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    More hiking, and less glassing might make you skinnyrascal.

Just kidding. I'm the forum clown. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    More hiking, and less glassing might make you skinnyrascal.

Just kidding. I'm the forum clown. Welcome to the forum.
    Ooh fatrascal is about 6' of legs and is a hiking machine! Welcome to eastmans drew!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd rather fly around in a helicopter & drop in close to get a good look at them than walk. That whole walking thing is WAY overrated