Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Remington 742 .30-06

Anybody have one of these?

My dad told me a couple of days a ago that my grandpa wants to give me one.

In some initial reading, it seems that they have a propensity to beat themselves into not functioning and some won't maintain accuracy. Some people swear that they are junk but others swear that they are good guns.

I'm guessing that my grandpa's is functioning fine, he wouldn't drop a bum gun on me, so I'm not terribly worried about it, just more wondering how long I can expect it to be a useful gun.

When I get it, I'm going to take it to a local gunsmith and have him give it a good going-over just so I know where I stand with it.

Just curious if anybody here has one and if so, how do you like it, any problems, etc?

Right now I hunt with a Springfield M1A Scout (.308), so that's my comparison.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    JMSZ,

I had a 742 30-06 way back when and shot my very first deer with it in about 1967. I have also had the sister ship to it, the 760 pump action in 35 Whelen. I liked them both. I found the magazines would get finicky, especially if you dropped them a time or two, but new magazines were easy to find. Neither rifle were tack drivers but certainly adequate for general hunting.

I'd jump at the deal just because it belonged to your grandpa!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a Rem 742 in 30-06. Funny enough it was also my grandfathers. I have had the rifle since 1999 and it shoots really well.(topped with a Williams Peep). When I got the gun I took it apart, cleaned it and refinished the stock. The problem I have with it is that after the first shot the slide doesn't close all the way. So unless I shove the slide all the way closed there is no follow up shot. I was going to take it to my gunsmith last year but he unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack. As soon as I find a new gunsmith I am going to do my best to take a deer with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I also inherited one. I don't really want it or care about it. If some one gave a $100 bill it would be yours. Please come and get it.
    with that said. When my dad stopped using it in the 80's, the gun would jam. The rifle really hasn't been looked at since. The gun is definately not pretty.

I have been told that the gas system does clog easy and is not easy to clean and that is the majority of the problems with this rifle.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Make believe it's a single shot gun, and make the first one count. That will ease your mind about jamming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I also inherited one. I don't really want it or care about it. If some one gave a $100 bill it would be yours. Please come and get it.
    with that said. When my dad stopped using it in the 80's, the gun would jam. The rifle really hasn't been looked at since. The gun is definately not pretty.

I have been told that the gas system does clog easy and is not easy to clean and that is the majority of the problems with this rifle.
    Was the gun shot with factory ammo or reloads? The semiautos tend to be a little picky especially with reloads. I used to have a Winchester M100 and unless I full length sized EVERY reload every time, it would not really cycle well. Generally the Remingtons have a pretty good reputation if treated well and kept clean. If you have no sentimental connection with it, then by all means sell it. Does it have a scope or iron sights? If you really want to sell it, PM me and maybe we can work out something.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Was the gun shot with factory ammo or reloads? The semiautos tend to be a little picky especially with reloads. I used to have a Winchester M100 and unless I full length sized EVERY reload every time, it would not really cycle well. Generally the Remingtons have a pretty good reputation if treated well and kept clean. If you have no sentimental connection with it, then by all means sell it. Does it have a scope or iron sights? If you really want to sell it, PM me and maybe we can work out something.
    Well, Colorado, I guess he does not really want to sell it. When I lived in Louisiana many years ago, I ran a large retail sporting goods operation for one of the major chain stores. The top selling deer rifle in that area was the Remington 742 in 30/06. Cajuns can give guns some tough use, mud, water, rain, swamps, etc.. About the only group that is tougher on guns is Eskimo seal hunters. My cousin owned a pawn shop near Anchorage, and the appearance of some of those guns was horrific. A pre-64 Model 70 with the stock bleached white from saltwater, and the metal flaking with rust is a sorry sight indeed. Anyhow, the Cajuns loved those 742s and they worked pretty well in that environment. One problem area was the locking lugs. That particular gendre of 742s had the multiple small locking lugs, and were susceptible to jamming when dirt particles, grass seed, etc. got caught up in the lugs, which for some reason never got cleaned on most guns. Remington recognized the problem, and went to fewer larger locking lugs like the Browning BAR. I have one of the BDL models and I have my Dad's old 742 ADL. I do not recall having either gun jam.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've got 742 in .308 my dad got new in 1969. I killed my first deer & elk with it. I killed an elk at 254 yards with it. We have not had any problems with it. It has killed lots of deer, been a really good gun.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I haven't looked at this thread in awhile.
    Colorado cowboy check you messages.