Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NM Unit 17 Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats too bad but one of those things I'll just have to deal with. Hopefully I can locate a good out of the way spot. Does anyone know about how the wilderness areas (Apache Kid and Withington) are, I will be on foot but if I can get away from the hunting pressure there I'm willing to work harder.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jruet19 View Post
    Thats too bad but one of those things I'll just have to deal with. Hopefully I can locate a good out of the way spot. Does anyone know about how the wilderness areas (Apache Kid and Withington) are, I will be on foot but if I can get away from the hunting pressure there I'm willing to work harder.
    Let me tell you, that is some STEEP country! Up and down, up and down non stop. I'm sure that there are some trophy bulls in there because of how rugged the country is but if you want to hunt deep in there be sure to be in good shape. Several years back (2008) the NM governnor's tag holder took a bull in the Apache Kid that went over 400". They are in there but you will have to work your butt off. Some parts are even too steep for horses, good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did not notice a huge problem with pressure the times I was there. Yes, there where hunters out and some of the water holes had people set up on them. Did not have a problem getting away from the people and getting into Elk. I really enjoy hunting NM, the people there are great and the Elk are incredible.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I did not notice a huge problem with pressure the times I was there. Yes, there where hunters out and some of the water holes had people set up on them. Did not have a problem getting away from the people and getting into Elk. I really enjoy hunting NM, the people there are great and the Elk are incredible.
    Probably for a guy from Illinois there didnt seem like there was a lot of pressure because your used to seeing more people than I am. haha You are right though, the people in NM are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and if you know where to go the elk are fantastic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hope to find one of those places that has the fantastic elk. There were only 75 tags for the public land on that first hunt and it is a pretty big area. I've been looking at several different maps and google earth plus I have an SD card for my GPS that covers the whole state in pretty good detail. Will be going down there this week for a few days to check things out, I know that the elk will likely be in different places by the time my hunt comes around but I will have sometime in mid August to do some more scouting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck jruet19! Its good your going to get down there to do a preliminary scout, checking out access points and finding some water holes. With only 75 tags, you should have a great chance and a very high quality bull. Sounds like you are willing to work, so getting away from folks will not be that difficult.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Probably for a guy from Illinois there didnt seem like there was a lot of pressure because your used to seeing more people than I am.
    Yep, you sure got that right!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got back from a pre-pre scouting trip. Saw a ton of turkeys, just a week after the spring turkey hunt. Saw a few elk on private land and found some nice deer sheds off of forest road 478.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    my 16 year old son drew this muzzleloader tag unit 17 oct 4-8 I know nothing of the area just swant to get as big as I can for him.im from mt so just comin down early is only scout option without help.not afraid to hike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wish ya the best on that hunt. Seems like that would be a great time to be there. Start yourself a new thread, this one is old. You may get some better info. Good luck!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"