Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

how to keep your feet in good shape

I am covering alot of conditioning miles every week now looking forward to some serious packing this fall. I hope this also helps to toughen up my feet. I wear wool socks when hunting. I sweat alot on my feet, and they always give out before the rest of me does. I was going to pick up one of these gel or ?? insoles. My boots are light and feel good. It only gets bad after continuous 8+ mile days or heavy packing. Do I need to take steps to get my feet dried out nicely every night? Do you take a tiny bit of powder to put on your feet every night? I will be hunting in October and November.

What does everyone do to keep your feet in good shape for 2 or 3 weeks of solid hunting ??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Are you wearing old style wool socks or the new merino wool? I have some Lorpen merino wool socks that are awesome. My feet sweat a ton, so I change my socks mid day and that really helps. Make sure they dry out every night.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    definitely old style. I saw those Lorpen at sportsmans yesterday. I definitely don't think I was getting dried out socks everyday. Hopefully that is most my problem. That sounds like a good start. I also saw some insoles that I like. I have a plan A.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    if you can remeber to elevate your feet above your heart for about 10-15 minutes at night, helps alot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    if you can remeber to elevate your feet above your heart for about 10-15 minutes at night, helps alot.
    I am afraid most of these ideas and others I have read are just basic care. I am guilty of wearing my boots from 5:00AM to 9:00PM every day instead of giving my feet a periodic break. I think that abuse only shows up during hunting outings. I have been putting in a few more miles in the last few years, and it is bringing this issue to the surface. I can see the value in resting with your feet up during the day also. Easy enough to do while taking a snack break.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A few tips that have helped me as I almost destroyed my feet years ago on a hunt out west. Make sure your boots are a good fit. Many times a well worn boot seems to allow way to much foot movement within the boot. Get some good insoles as they do make a difference when you are wearing your boots all day. I always wear boot liners under merino wool socks and normally take off my boots and socks Midday when I eat lunch.I always keep a few extra pair of socks in my pack so if I have to change my socks I can. Moisture is a killer on your feet. You might want to try a foot powder to help keep them dry. In my opinion going down steep hills can really do a number on your heels and toes or at least that is the problem I had with ill fitting boots. My feet (heels and toes) would slide back and forth in the boot going up and down steep grades. I finally found a good boot that would lock my foot in place and that eliminated the sliding inside the boot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I keep my hunting/hiking boots on as little as possible. When I'm in camp I wear my camp shoes. My camp shoes are romeo's. Easy slip-ons. I even have inside the tent slippers. At night I take the insoles out of my boots to dry them off. I keep 4 pairs of socks in my pack and change through out the day. I might not use all four pairs but they are there when I need them. When I'm packing to go on a trip I bring tons of socks. I don't bring a specific amount but it is in the 30 pairs range. I wear the nike stay dry socks. Around camp I wear the heavier wool socks, for comfort. When I'm usually around camp it is cold so the heavier socks feel good. Your feet should be your number one priority. I'm not saying that I some great hunter that has hunted all over the planet, but I have spent alot of time in boots. I was a paratrooper in the army and my boots/feet were very important to me and my team.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I found that wearing a soft comfy boot was a mistake. You still want comfort but you want stiffness also. When your boots are too soft your arches are allowed to go flat while you are carrying heavy loads. A stiffer boot gives you more support and protects your arches better. Also, if your wool socks are too thick your feet slide more than if you have a thin wool sock. One more thing. Several years ago I started using trekking poles and found that they help you use your ankles less for balancing which keeps your feet and ankles from getting fatigued. I always told my friends that used them that they were yuppie sissys but after using them I found I can walk longer and further and my feet feel better. fatrascal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As far as your feet are concerned taking care of them really year round is a must!!! That means don't let callous build up start. Take care to remove old dead skin to avoid cracking/bleeding. Keep skin soft and supple. As far as socks are concerned, the newer materials used for moisture wicking are far superior. I like a thin sock personally with moisture wicking properties. If your feet stay dry from sweat they will always stay warm and in good shape, even in an uninsulated boot. I usually have 10-12 pairs of socks with me. Also, around camp get your boots off and wear something comfortable, breathable. I wear running shoes personally. Kicking your feet up above your head to reduce any inflammation from the days hunt helps also...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't speak to the moisture issue as my feet don't sweat that much, but as far as support I have had numerous bouts with foot pain and plantar fasciitis. If you have pain in your arches and or heels, super feet are the next best thing next to custom inserts from a podiatrist.

http://www.superfeet.com/

Take out the original inserts from your boots and or shoes and replace them with the super feet and my feet stay in great shape. Just because of the added support. Not only my feet, but my back also feels better when I wear them. Your feet are the foundation for most everything else above them.