Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Besides getting a good pair of boots, take a look at the merino wool Superfeet.

They regulate the temp of my feet and keep stink factor down.

I also use deodorant on my feet to help them from sweating. Weird I know but has worked for me for years.

Rudy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    I mark on a calendar about 2 months out and clip my toenails and clip every 2 weeks. I try to clip about a week before the hunt so my toe nails are at optimum length, not to long to dig in the front of the boot and not to short to maybe be sore for a day or two. This sounds a little wierd but sore feet can screw up a good hunt. In the field if it is not to cold I take my shoes off and give my feet a rest during lunch. Set them down wind for obvious reasons !
    I'll second taking off your boots while eating lunch. I even have a second pair of socks in my hunting pack and switch out at lunch. When warm in archery season, snack in bare feet and let the sun and air dry your feet out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What a great thread! I'm going to order some Lathrop and Sons Synergy footbeds. My heels blistered so bad last year, it almost ruined my hunt. Even walking on flat ground, I could feel and hear my heel rubbing. I never noticed this during the break in period. I wore these boots for months prior to my hunt. I think I let my feet get too wet from sweat and once I noticed the sore spots, it was too late. The damage was done. I hope these footbeds can save my feet this year. Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips on here. I appreciate it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I prefer non waterproof trail runners to waterproof boots. They dry much faster if they get wet. I also keep my feet comfortable with different socks. Neoprene socks over wool keep feet warm during rain or creek crossings. Dry socks to change into are nice, and this year I'm trying goretex socks to help stay dry in wet conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappy View Post
    What a great thread! I'm going to order some Lathrop and Sons Synergy footbeds. My heels blistered so bad last year, it almost ruined my hunt. Even walking on flat ground, I could feel and hear my heel rubbing. I never noticed this during the break in period. I wore these boots for months prior to my hunt. I think I let my feet get too wet from sweat and once I noticed the sore spots, it was too late. The damage was done. I hope these footbeds can save my feet this year. Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips on here. I appreciate it!
    A footbed alone won't prevent heel slip. You will need to find a boot that fits in a way that keeps your heel on the footbed. Spending the money on custom fitting can help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have heard orthotics do wonders!?

although part of me thinks one should just train more and strengthen those foot muscles vs. relying on more support etc...

perhaps that hunting boot/sneaker?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Some great points in this thread. For me it depends on what the foot care issue is. Tought to get around more serious issues like planters fasciitis.

I use layering to prevent blisters and my method has worked 100% regardless of distance, weight, boot etc... It starts with knee high panty hose. Laugh now, if you try it, you'll likely not stop. You can get a box of 8-10 pair at any Wal-Mart/Drug store for under $5. The next layer is a moisture wicking poly pro type sock. Current ones are by Wigwam and also assist with scent control. The outer layer is a merino wool sock thickness dependent on climate. Current pair are mid-weight Lorpen.

Last Dec packing in to AZ, was the forth day before I needed some moleskin maintenance and that was a previously healed blister spot due to another activity where I failed to follow my own method.

Like mentioned already, when I broke for lunch, I aired my feet out. All three would dry very rapidly and little to no scent. Combine this with Dead Down Wind powder and you've got a combination that will work in nearly all conditions.

Depending on how hard I push, my legs normally give before my feet. Need to remember to continually stretch, monitor water intake, and have some vitamin M on hand to address the soreness.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RockChucker30 View Post
    I prefer non waterproof trail runners to waterproof boots. They dry much faster if they get wet. I also keep my feet comfortable with different socks. Neoprene socks over wool keep feet warm during rain or creek crossings. Dry socks to change into are nice, and this year I'm trying goretex socks to help stay dry in wet conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I used to train in trail runners. I stopped when I about blew up my leg, hiking with a 75 pound pack. Those styles of shoes just aren't made to help you carry heavier loads.

During the summer, I callous up my feet pretty good walking around the pool barefoot, it seems to help strengthen my feet.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Great thread! I had a big bout with plantar fascia is after a particularly grueling pack out. Root cause were my boots were too flexible for the load carried. I got a stiff pair of Kenetreks which solved the problem. After this, my heel rubbed in the heel cup of the Kenetreks giving me blisters if I didn't tape up well. I found out that Kenetreks will stretch your heel cup to help alleviate this problem. I look forward to the results this fall.

Also, on the question of custom orthotics, my opinion is they are the gold standard for proper foot and arch alignment. I have very flat feet and the customs have been life savers. Well worth the $150 investment and they'll last for 4-5 years of constant wear.

I also like thinner socks. As stated, if your socks are too thick, they allow you foot to slip around too much. This can be an issue in cold weather so it's a fine line to toe...pun intended.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    As I continue to get more education on this subject, I am slowly working my way away from my cheap light boots. I have picked up a pair of Lowa Tibets with some merino liner socks. A lot of the reason I made the move was learning the importance of lacing techniques and the rigid mid sole. I have put these through the test on a few hikes. I have zero heal slip. I bombed down the hill without the trecking poles to see how hard my toes would jam, and I am really pleased. I could feel the whole load being put on the lacing pulling my foot back and down to the back of the boot.

I still hate the idea of wearing heavier boots all day. My pack system is always ready to pack heavy back to camp after a kill, so I think it is just going to be the right choice every time I go out.