Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New gear every year?

So I was just reading Adam's article about new arrows in the latest magazine and have also seen a LOT of articles lately in other magazine about new gear that is coming out this year. It seems like some guys are out there buying a new bow setup every single year. Does anybody on here actually do that or are all these articles simply about trying to get you to go out and buy the latest and greatest crap? I myself need a new bow badly but once I get one, I plan on using it for 5 years at a minimum, hopefully more like 10. Now that equipment is so great, I just can't think of a good reason to buy a new bow every year and having to bother with finding the right arrows, rest, etc...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am right there with ya NDHunter. I am definitely not one of the guys that buy alot of new equipment each year. There may be a piece or two that I try to upgrade but that is about it. In fact I just had a new string and cables put on my bow this week. So the Hoyt Maxis 31 will be with me for at least 2-3 more years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I enjoy getting new gear and I try to buy the best I can afford. That being said, I assume most people don't buy the same things every year. For example, maybe it was a tent three years ago, camo and rangefinder two years ago, boots and rain gear last year, binos and pack this year. I gather from your post, you were asking about people that buy the 2013 model of the 2012 widget they bought last year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm with DryFlyGuy, I buy a few things every year to keep up on stuff that is wearing out. Buying a new setup every year because some new articles and adds are out is insane. The 2013 stuff isn't sooo much better than the 2012 and so on. I use the money to actually hunt on out of state trips instead of buying unnecessary crap. Having good gear and spending time in the field makes you a better hunter than spending more money on gear and less time in the field.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like any hobby, guys vary a lot in how much they spend and how often they upgrade, whether its trading in vehicles or golfers buying a new set of clubs or a new driver.

I don't think there's any conspiracy behind guys writing articles on the newest and best hunting stuff. I certainly like to know what's new and what performs best and I appreciate someone knowledgeable doing a lot of the research for me.

Personally, I buy what I need, buy high quality, and usually buy the expensive stuff slightly used, just like I've always done with my vehicles. That's always worked for me and I feel like I'm being a good steward of the money I've been blessed with.

But, that doesn't mean I never upgrade my equipment and when I do, I want to know what to upgrade to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    I normally pick up a few things every year. Last year was the exception for me. I finally decided to delegate my old PSE bow to backup status and bought a new bow and accessories. I also went through my hunting cloths and ended up buying some new stuff. Other than that when I do buy something I try to make the best I can afford at the time so I don't have to go out every year to replace something....Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    I'm with you, buy a great bow once and use it for several years. Bows to me seem to depreciate insanely, so buy the best I can afford, and keep it for 5-7 years, then sell it on craigslist to some guy just getting started. The technology has been so advanced the past few years or so that you are gonna have a great bow if you purchase from a leading manufacturer.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 7 Posts
    It's not often I buy new gear, when I do I usually buy middle of the road stuff. The only top of the line gear I ever bought was a pair if Kennetrek boots, I was not happy when they leaked when they were only 5 months old. I won't be buying another pair of those! I don't have a spotting scope yet, I am really struggling with the price of those and how often I will use it. Top of the line gear is just way to expensive for me, house and family are me expense priority right now. Maybe when the kids are on thier own I can start buying better gear. Until then I will have to deal with heavy packs, uncomfortable clothes, wet feet, old heavy rifle, cheap bow, crappy bino's and no spotter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't buy something new just because some magazine writer said it was the best they've ever seen. If what I have is doing the job, I keep it. When something wears out or breaks, then I look for something to replace it. At my age I have just about everything I think I need. Another thing to think about....have you seen many stories in magazines that the writer didn't like the product they were reviewing? IMHO the have a vested interest to write something good about products so they keep getting more hardware to write about.

The only thing new I am thinking about buying is a new GPS. I sold my old one 4 or 5 years ago because it was just too damn hard to operate....at least for me!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wouldn't mine upgrading my GPS this year as well.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club