Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

New 45-70 and I'm lost....

Ok so I just could not stop myself. I tried and tried and god help her so did my wife, however this little bugger would not stop following me around Cabelas and I just had to bring her home. I landed myself into a Marlin Guide 1895 in 45-70. I actually didn't have anything in my kits for a bore this size. I now do. However I am very unhappy with what I came home with for cleaning stuff. I bought a hopes bore snake. It works ok for what they are. I also bought a .45 cal brass brush from gun slick and a mop. And some patches.

The brush just doesn't seem to really go in tight enough to do much good. The patches are ok. I may need a .45 swag to make them a tighter fit. Right now I forgot that and used a .30 and it was Soso.

I was wondering if any of you more senior lever action guys have found a better brush? Or is a .50 cal brush better suited? Just in case anyone asks, yes I checked the stamp on the brush and its right. It just has so very very little friction. This is actually the first time I have ever run into a brush set up being so poorly matched.
    I hunt because......

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been thinking of that exact gun lately. A great gun for timber hunting.

I can't help with the brush. I use Eliminator solvent, and it eats copper brushes, so I use a bristle brush.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use .45 cal brushes all the time in my .45 LC pistols & rifles for cowboy shooting. I use brass brushes and ballistol for cleaning....I shoot black powder so the solvent has to be water based. I think Otters is the brand and make sure you get the rifle brush as it is longer.

45-70 is a really great caliber for elk & larger animals. I used 3031 powder & and a 400 gr slug for awhile in mine, before I switched to BP. I had a Sharps replica, it was a single shot. I did kill an elk with mine...one shot and down it went. I have shot the Marlin you bought, the only problem I see is that it whacks you pretty good. My Sharps was pretty heavy and really fun to shoot, can't say the same for the Marlin.

Have fun with it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    30 cal brush and a limbsaver recoil pad.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    How does a .30 cal brush work in a .45 bore?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I am not sure but I wouldn't have to worry about too much friction! Lol. Or was I supposed to stuff the recoil pad in there also?
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Get a 475/480 brush from Brownells won't fold over as bad as a 50 and fits just right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T43 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That sounds like a pretty solid idea. I will let you know how it works as soon as I get one. Save the .45 rifle brush for something else down the road that follows me home!
    I hunt because......

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Are you sure the brush you bought was really a .45 cal brush? Not what it was marked, but what it measured. I'm a muzzleloader, and shoot .45,50, and .54 cal guns. The brushes made for those bores fit very tight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have a caliper to measure but by raw comparison it fits the same as my .40 brush does. Could have myself a misprint! Maybe if I save it it could have collectors value down the road, haha. Or just get a new one. It's labeled .45 and the little tube said .45 rifle. I was just curious more about the experience of others. Was curious if by some chance a 45-70 was a slightly larger bore than a standard .45 and if that was playing into the equation. However after seeing e brush I have fit the same as a .40 cal brush it leads me to think along the lines you did OH.
    I hunt because......