Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

tree stands or blinds?

do people use tree stands or ground blinds while hunting or mostly hide behind a bush and stalk?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Be a little more specific on your question. There can be a bounce of different answers depending on the animal your hunting.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Be a little more specific on your question. There can be a bounce of different answers depending on the animal your hunting.
    deer hunting with a bow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_20 View Post
    deer hunting with a bow
    Well, even though bow hunting is a get close game most western bow hunters do a lot of glassing from a vantage point to find there target animal (myself included), once found that's when the real fun starts. Use the terrain and most importantly the wind to get into position for the shot. Keep in mind that not all animals will be in a location suitable for a high percentage stalk, if this is the case, give the deer some time to get into a better location that lends itself to a higher percentage stalk. You may even have to give him a day and work on him again the following day. Patience is a virtue !!!!! This is your basic SPOT & STALK method.

Still hunting is another method, Old Hunter uses this method. Basically you walk through the woods very slowly stopping every step or two scanning the woods for deer. Usually you will just see bits and pieces of the deer as you scan the area. For myself, I need to see a LOT of sign in the area before I will still hunt it.

Tree stands can be very productive over well established game trails or at water holes.

These are just some basic methods............hope it helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packer58 View Post
    Well, even though bow hunting is a get close game most western bow hunters do a lot of glassing from a vantage point to find there target animal (myself included), once found that's when the real fun starts. Use the terrain and most importantly the wind to get into position for the shot. Keep in mind that not all animals will be in a location suitable for a high percentage stalk, if this is the case, give the deer some time to get into a better location that lends itself to a higher percentage stalk. You may even have to give him a day and work on him again the following day. Patience is a virtue !!!!! This is your basic SPOT & STALK method.

Still hunting is another method, Old Hunter uses this method. Basically you walk through the woods very slowly stopping every step or two scanning the woods for deer. Usually you will just see bits and pieces of the deer as you scan the area. For myself, I need to see a LOT of sign in the area before I will still hunt it.

Tree stands can be very productive over well established game trails or at water holes.

These are just some basic methods............hope it helps
    yea that helps a lot actually thank you. this will be my first time deer hunting and have been scouting for few months now trying to figure out where the deer are and being out and learning the terrain. so far so good i have found deer at every spot ive set up my trail cam. but i know their most likely not going to be in the same area come September but i am just trying to see how to hunt these spots. if a treestand is a wast of time no bother buying one but i do have my turkey blind with tie straps to tie in brush and branches. but if spot and stank is the easiest and most likely way to go then i will be trying that. i just wanted some incite on how to hunt this year so i can be as prepared as possible. im hunting d14 so if anyone reading this hunts the zone tips on how to aproach this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have a feeling with a western dominant forum like this your main response will be spot and stalk. Which is my preferred method. I dont have patience for my luck to happen. I prefer to make my own.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Though I do prefer to spot and stalk. I have found myself using a climbing treestand often the last 3-4 years. It just depends on the area I am hunting. It tends to be pretty hot and dry during the archery season here in CA so alot of time I will set up on trail leading to water. It does take some serious patience though. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hide behind a bush.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I've never used either, still hunting or spot and stalk are my methods. I'm not good at sitting in one spot for very long.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I hide behind a bush.
    Come on BB, you know the proper way is to hide in FRONT of the bush...........Just say'n.