Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    That's why I said "generally"! More power to ya if the road gets ya there . . . I wish I would have had a closer vehicle to get either of these two muleys out . . . Attachment 5564Attachment 5565
    Don't get me wrong. My Jeep can't get me to my hunting areas. It may get me up in altitude, but I still have quite a hike left. I'm much more of a solo elk hunter than deer. Getting the meat out alone has always been my biggest problem. I hunt the timber, so I might have a few miles of dark timber to hike through. At 70 years old it's getting a little too hard lately.

Thanks
    HiMtn

Great pics, I see the 1st one is a muzzy, very nice. Getting stoked to see a new area hit the high country. My boy has never hunted the high country before. He thinks it will be tough and he won't be able to cover the ground...if he only knew he's the one going to be waiting for me. He's 17 and is in great shape, he'll have one on his old man now.

Thanks
    Looks like you've got yourself a 2-legged pack mule if that's the case

Thanks
    I hunted sheep in this unit back in '03. I spent a boatload of time over the summer at and above timberline in the northern LaGaritas and never saw a deer. Not that they weren't there, and lots could have changed since then, but I didn't see any. I drew one of the unit 67 ML elk tags this year so I'll be over there scouting some over the summer (I was gonna go this weekend but came down with a bad head cold so bagged the weekend trip for now).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
    I hunted sheep in this unit back in '03. I spent a boatload of time over the summer at and above timberline in the northern LaGaritas and never saw a deer. Not that they weren't there, and lots could have changed since then, but I didn't see any. I drew one of the unit 67 ML elk tags this year so I'll be over there scouting some over the summer (I was gonna go this weekend but came down with a bad head cold so bagged the weekend trip for now).
    High country Muleys are elusive no matter where you go. You might find a bachelor herd of 10 in one drainage one year and nothing the next. . . Both those Muleys were taken with a muzz. The one up in the tundra was an all day stalk, six mile pack out. Slept right there on the side of the mountain, pack out in the am. Fond memories. Does my heart good knowing more youngsters are being exposed to the high country!

Banned
    Thanks
    I keep telling guys that muley's are much harder to get than elk. Mature muley's that is. Youngsters are easy.

Thanks
    Could always find the 1 & only actual crop field with size to it in the unit......

Thanks
    I guess I need to get out there in the next few months, got some vacation time so may put it to good use. I hunted the Books muzzy deer in 06 and a cold snap and some snow the week before we got there. It was the third week in Sept and the bucks had scattered form their summer haunts. Just had to hunt harder but it was fun, tons of deer in there.

Thanks
    Above timber... No doubt about it... They will still be there.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Hmm, I find this convo interesting. I agree on the point of keeping your options open. Not all Mule deer stay or even live high, my largest mule deer (during Bow season) came at a measly 6,800 ft in the sagebrush. this buck had the opportunity to be high as well. Deer like humans can be unpredictable. I would try and scout all elevations and be prepared to hunt where you are seeing the animals! Just my two cents! Best of luck to you!