Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m.mcolorado View Post
    Hmm, I find this convo interesting. I agree on the point of keeping your options open. Not all Mule deer stay or even live high, my largest mule deer (during Bow season) came at a measly 6,800 ft in the sagebrush. this buck had the opportunity to be high as well. Deer like humans can be unpredictable. I would try and scout all elevations and be prepared to hunt where you are seeing the animals! Just my two cents! Best of luck to you!
    You are correct, deer can be at any elevation in the early season, from down low around town to the mid elevation quakes. My experience is that a higher proportion of the biggest bucks live in the high country. Search the low elevations in that country in September, then do it again in December. . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mcolorado?

Curious, did your 6,800' buck have something to keep him there like a ag field or something, or was it all native type country? I can see the exception to deer going high if they are using a alfalfa field or something to hold them.

I have read some bucks are hard wired and will return to the same area of high country each year and have found a study in WY's Lincoln county where the radio collard deer would return to the came summer grounds, not all of them but a large percentage. Shows how far they migrated as well.

This is the kind of research I can dig my teeth into...check it out.

http://www.west-inc.com/reports/big_...port_final.pdf

elkmo41

Thanks
    Congratulations
    opps Carbon county not Lincoln. Found it while researching for a unit 84 tag several years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    elkmo41, yes there were hay fields around. Even North though i see them low all yesr. I don't disagree with you though for sure. i see great deer high also. I read the article you posted. It was interesting as I am very familiar with that area. I am probably in the bagg's area 3 days a week. I wonder how that migration route is now since they built a high fence on both sides of the highway. the locals call it the "fence to no where" I now see hundreds of deer late in the year stacked up againnst that fence confused on which way to go. It has really thrown a hampeer in thier migration route. they have tunnels under the highway for them but it seems like the majority just havnt figured it out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You could also go to the high country & find the deepest, thickest canyons possible...or go to the low country and find the highest elevation around with cover on it and water close by.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We met the CO for the area 84 when we were hunting and he said over 500 deer we killed along that stretch of highway that winter. Maybe it was built for that reason. They winter close to that hwy.