Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I grew up camping and fishing as a kid with my family but my dad did not hunt. So, I needed to learn about hunting on my own or by hunting with friends. I started backpacking when I was 15 and started hunting on my own when I was 18 when I bought my first rifle and shotgun. Since then many, many years have passed. I've hunted out of state, in my own state, private land, public land, horse packed in to hunt, hunted on foot with a backpack and also by driving the roads with a motorized vehicle. Backcountry hunting and or being in the backcountry by far has been the most beautiful and fulfilling for me. The only way I can describe the feeling is that it's spiritual in nature, gratifying and rejuvenating for my soul.

The media that has been produced from folks like the Eastmans', their staff and their contributors has enhanced that which was already in me and part of me. I'm thankful for them and for many of the folks I've learned from here on the forum. You have all been a big part in helping me continue on that journey and adventure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As a guy who came to live out West but was originally from Florida, I've learned quite a bit from the Eastmans. When I moved to Nevada I was a road hunter but realized I was doing something wrong. If I saw 10 bucks in a season I was doing very well while other people were killing some good bucks every year. I started reading everything I could get my hands on. My hunger to learn how to hunt the West was huge. Eastmans mags, books and videos were my top learning tools. Now I spend a lot of time helping friends fill thier tags and teaching them how to hunt in thier owne back yards or mountains, so to speak. Nowadays its not unusual to see 20 bucks in one drainage with the knowledge of using optics and learning to backpack hunt being great contributors to my hunting. Thanks to Eastmans and this forum for teaching me to be more eficient at doing what I love most, hunting. fatrascal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    While reading thru all the posts on this thread, I realized how lucky I was to grow up in a family of hunters. Not just hunters, but hunters who taught me to get away from roads and into the backcountry. My first hunt in the backcountry was when I was 12 (in 1952). My Dad actually took me out of school for a week and I went with all the men on a wilderness, packin deer hunt. That started it and planted the seed than has grown into a lifelong passion of 60 years doing that type/style of hunting for biggame.

I was very fortunate to have had this type of experience at such a young age. My real thanks goes to my recently deceased Father who taught me the basics and continued to hunt this way into his 90"s......Thanks Dad.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    While reading thru all the posts on this thread, I realized how lucky I was to grow up in a family of hunters. Not just hunters, but hunters who taught me to get away from roads and into the backcountry. My first hunt in the backcountry was when I was 12 (in 1952). My Dad actually took me out of school for a week and I went with all the men on a wilderness, packin deer hunt. That started it and planted the seed than has grown into a lifelong passion of 60 years doing that type/style of hunting for biggame.

I was very fortunate to have had this type of experience at such a young age. My real thanks goes to my recently deceased Father who taught me the basics and continued to hunt this way into his 90"s......Thanks Dad.

Very cool CC. Sorry for your loss
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I grew up watching the Eastmans' hunting shows n TV. I have always dreamed of hunting high country mule deer all my life and I live for it. Problem is I live in Kansas, so I hunt the majority of my time in a tree. Quite the difference and change. The EHJ and EBJ magazines always give me a boost each year and help me find the right area to put in for. I am currently gaining points for that one special hunt in the near future. I will consult the MRS section when that comes. I thoroughly enjoy reading the magazines.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really got the mule deer bug when my folks bought a place in central oregon. I had some good luck, and a ton of fun. After watching the eastmans shows and seeing real people hunt the way i think it should be done, I was inspired to look at whatever my home state offered for big mule deer and committed to doing it. My brother and I got our personal bests last year together on a backpack hunt, and it was exciting to share that success along with the successes of other hunters on the forum.

When I actually got on the forum and started to collect and share information, I realized I am not alone in my passion for hardcore hunting. One of the biggest benefits for me is the collective knowledge and the willingness to share. Although I have spent more money in the last 2 years on gear than I have in decades, I think it is the right gear and will ultimately allow me to have more successful and safer hunts. This has now manifested into my first out of state hunt this fall. Really looking forward to it.

The entire Eastmans approach along with the folks on this forum has inspired me to take more mature animals. My dad was not a selective hunter, he was an old school "put meat on the table" kind of guy. I know for a fact that he shot a mule deer and an antelope that would be in the record books, but he never even cared about that stuff. Eastmans and the forum have introduced me to a different way of thinking, and I am liking it so far!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

CC, I know I've written this before so forgive me if I sound like a broken record. I've really enjoyed reading your history in growing up and your hunting and outdoor upbringing roots. It matches any I've read in any outdoor book or magazine or publication. Thank you putting those memories into words here on the forum. I was sad hearing of your lost recently this year with your dad. I know you hold many fond memories with him. You were very blessed having a father to show you those experiences.

My dad passed away in the late 90's at 70 years of age of that awful cancer. While dad did not hunt, he did bring us the into the high sierras on a regular basis multiple times a year to fish before we could even walk. Today, I'd much rather spend time catching trout in a mountain stream than any other type of fishing in the world. It's funny how those seeds get planted in us and they take root. My roots took hold and wanted to grow out more.

My brother and sister never really took off with the same passion I did for the outdoors or at least in the same way. My kids do but don't in the same way it's kind of hard for me to put into words. Getting them to go on hikes or outdoor outings with me or hunting is like pulling teeth now that they are in college. I've always enjoyed reading about families that seemed to enjoy the same activities together, being able to make them happen and reading how those roots took hold together. That is a beautiful thing.

This coming week ahead I'll be in the eastern sierras west of Bridgeport, California 10 miles in off the trailhead with a pack on my back. I'll be solo but I'll be in an awesome and beautiful place growing my outdoor roots deeper.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    For me they have done a ton. I used to be a road hunter wich is the way I was taught. Then I got the trophy horn bug and realized how much more rewarding it was to me to go out there and work for it. I've learned pretty much every technique I use now from the Eastmans. I am a bit bias but its only the truth. We used to hike our butts off trying to find big trophys wasting energy and being so inefficient I look back on it and can't believe how I used to hunt. I also have to say I've learned a lot from you guys here on the forum as well. Thanks to all and the E boys!
    I have to add: My brother and i have packed thousands of lbs of bones out of the forest on backpacks. I never realized how foolish that was until i started seeing the pack in guys boning everything out. It seems so obvious now.......what were we thinking??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    My dad handed me a book called,"Hunting High Country Mule Deer" by Mike Eastman the day I found out I drew my first deer tag at age 12. I treated that book as a deer hunting bible. I read it cover to cover many times. That book planted the bug for me in western big game. So I would have to say how I hunt originated from the Eastmans and my old man obviously.

My old man hunts the Eastmans way as well. Like alot of guys he learned stuff the hard way and was unsuccessful in killing a big buck but he isn't stupid so he decided to educate himself thus reading books. He started changing his ways and becoming more successful and passing along the Eastman way to me.

In recent years, own some Eastmans DVDs and such. All they do is motivate me. They don't change my hunting style or thoughts, it is just fun to watch people kill good bucks.

The biggest thing I owe Eastmans though is some friendships I have made through this forum. There are some really cool people on here that will be lifelong friends in state and out of state. Those people are also extremely knowledgable and helped me out in product purchases, units to apply for, bullet selection, the list is literally endless. I have gone out of state and met up with guys on here(it worked out good for me but I wouldn't suggest it on other forums). making a trip back up there but it doesn't look like our schedules are aligning this time. These friendships to me are priceless.

Eastmans provided the basis for the lifestyle I live. My hobby has become an obsession. My daily routine revolves around something to do with hunting and talking to someone I have met on here.

I aim to pass that lifestyle on to my kids.

Thanks Eastmans.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would have to agree with Dr.. Besides the motivation aspect it has been the friendships and knowledge I have gained from EF that have meant the most to me. I have never had alot of people to share my passion with until finding this forum. At least not ones that understand like alot of you do. This is just a great group of people to chat with and learn from. So to the Eastmans crew and fellow EF members. Thank you all!