Thread: Unit 35 elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 35 elk

My dad drew the type 1 tag for this unit and was wodering if anyone has any info to pass along abou the unit. Neither of us has been there before and im just trying to get as much info i can beforehand. I will be tagging along to help woth camp chores , glassing and hopefully packing out! We have a couple areas in mind from looking at our topo maps but would really like to talk with someone who has hunted there before. One of my questions is are there elk on both sides of the highway(hwy 16) or are most of the elk on the west side early in the rifle season(and east of the highway after a heavy snow) or are they scattered from timberline down to the ntional forest boundary? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont really know much about area 35, but do know that you need to come in great shape if your going to seriously hunt elk in the Bighorns.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I know this thread is old, but here it goes. I rifle hunted unit 35 last year. It was unusually warm while I was out there. Matter of fact, a few bulls were still bugling. There are Elk on either side of 16, I ended up killing my 5x5 on the east. We found elk at 11,000ft all the way down to 7,000 ft. Like I said, the weather was screwed up. Lots of ATVers road hunting. They screwed up my first shot at a bull. The northwestern part of the unit is wilderness. To venture there, you need a guide or have a resident take you in. There is a ton of road access in this unit - that may be good or bad. The terrain east and south of 16 is moderate. North and west I would consider higher than moderate but not too bad, at least where I went. I'm not in the best shape physically and I managed to deal with it for 6 days. To be successful you need to get off the roads but not terribly far, maybe a mile or so. Most of the so called "hunters" never got off their atvs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Actually, the big horn bull I killed is my avatar.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buckbull i think i read about your hunt on another webiste too! Anyway id like to chat with you a bit sometime if thats ok? You can email me at 270elktaco@gmail.com if you want

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey elktaco, I sent you an email a while back. Just wondering how you guys did.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Buckbull, I am considering applying for area 35 this year. I am a resident so I still have a few months to decide. I saw you had some success in this unit. Any information regarding this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulliv1 View Post
    Buckbull, I am considering applying for area 35 this year. I am a resident so I still have a few months to decide. I saw you had some success in this unit. Any information regarding this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    I just stumbled on this thread. If you have some questions please send me a PM.