Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

self climbing tree stand

i bought a revers edge self climbing tree stand, i really like it. never been a tree stand hunter but am going to try it for whitetail this fall. anyone ever use one of these? pros or cons?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I bought a tree stand a few years ago when I thought I was going to be a archery hunt and wanted it for elk. I have never used it. My buddy has one and uses his in Mo when he whitetail hunts with a rifle. It's a pretty slick and comfortable one. He kind of lays down in it. I think I would fall asleep.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I bought a tree stand a few years ago when I thought I was going to be a archery hunt and wanted it for elk. I have never used it. My buddy has one and uses his in Mo when he whitetail hunts with a rifle. It's a pretty slick and comfortable one. He kind of lays down in it. I think I would fall asleep.
    Sounds like your buddy has one of the Tree Lounge tree stands, they are VERY comfortable. I have one of the originals (square tubing).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have that particular brand, but have used Summit climbers since I was 12. I'd prep a bunch of trees with a machete pre-season so you've got plenty of options.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've never been a big fan of the climbers, but I do have a bunch of River's Edge lock on stands, I like them.

Hunting out of a tree isn't as bad as some of you Western hands make it out to be
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Climber stands are good if you have the right trees. They are super comfortable so wear a safety harness because you could potentially nap

the largest problem I see with hunting with climbing stands is you have to find the right tree, then you have to do your home work and find the right area, then be really quiet and sneak in. Then you have to make a bunch of noise climbing up the tree and down. I used climbers this year some when I did some work for a tv show. Hauling camera equipment, bows, gear etc and then trying to use a climber was a true pain in the rear. I am a hard core lock on stand guy, so it took me a while to get used to. Depending on where you hunt, you might find an area where the trees are easy to climb...

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Trees are for squirrels.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Trees are for squirrels.
    Haha, that's what I though too
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Trees are for squirrels.
    Y'all would see it differently if you hunted whitetails in the east. You aren't going to kill many mature bucks just still hunting. The cover is too thick and noisy and the hunting pressure is greater here. I think that climbers are a great tool for any hunter that hunts in the timber for cagey and spooky critters like whitetails. I've never wanted to invest in too many stands so I just have a couple of climbers that I use on preselected trees. I've never used a rivers edge but my summit stands are really comfortable. My best advice is prescouting and preparing a few trees ahead of the hunt. Cut off any limbs that will prevent you from smoothly ascending and especially descending the tree. Make sure to a tie the upper and lower sections together! Nothing like being 30 ft up a tree when the bottom section goes down without you. The pros are portability and comfort. The only cons I can think of is noise. They are noisy when you are setting them up and can be noisy during the climb if you are on a rough barked tree.
    Last edited by Alabama; 05-24-2013 at 10:21 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Y'all would see it differently if you hunted whitetails in the east. You aren't going to kill many mature bucks just still hunting. The cover is too thick and noisy and the hunting pressure is greater here. I think that climbers are a great tool for any hunter that hunts in the timber for cagey and spooky critters like whitetails. I've never wanted to invest in too many stands so I just have a couple of climbers that I use on preselected trees. I've never used a rivers edge but my summit stands are really comfortable. My best advice is prescouting and preparing a few trees ahead of the hunt. Cut off any limbs that will prevent you from smoothly ascending and especially descending the tree. Make sure to a tie the upper and lower sections together! Nothing like being 30 ft up a tree when the bottom section goes down without you. The pros are portability and comfort. The only cons I can think of is noise. They are noisy when you are setting them up and can be noisy during the climb if you are on a rough barked tree.
    If you mean the east as in Mass? I was born and brought up there. That's where my dad taught me to still hunt.