Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That takes the fun out of it. Dress up in a be-your-own-decoy squirrel suit and lure them in. Honestly it doesn't even take that, I've gotten woken up several times from a squirrel deciding to jump on me on it's way down the tree.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lot of work for not much meat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Trees are for squirrels.
    Y'all would see it differently if you hunted whitetails in the east. You aren't going to kill many mature bucks just still hunting. The cover is too thick and noisy and the hunting pressure is greater here. I think that climbers are a great tool for any hunter that hunts in the timber for cagey and spooky critters like whitetails. I've never wanted to invest in too many stands so I just have a couple of climbers that I use on preselected trees. I've never used a rivers edge but my summit stands are really comfortable. My best advice is prescouting and preparing a few trees ahead of the hunt. Cut off any limbs that will prevent you from smoothly ascending and especially descending the tree. Make sure to a tie the upper and lower sections together! Nothing like being 30 ft up a tree when the bottom section goes down without you. The pros are portability and comfort. The only cons I can think of is noise. They are noisy when you are setting them up and can be noisy during the climb if you are on a rough barked tree.
    Last edited by Alabama; 05-24-2013 at 10:21 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of mine hangs on those tall pines down at the bend in the rd....some may call that road hunting, I would consider it taking advantage of the only place you can walk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for input, i liked the option of packing it in and setting up with ease. i tried it yesterday on riverbottoms just to get a feel for it. pretty cool but will deff keep fiddeling with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's 2 reasons I don't use climbers. If you hunt near bedding areas, they're too noisy while climbing. Second, because I only archery hunt, I like to hang my stands amongst limbs with foliage. Trees have been good to me for hunting more than squirrels, I've killed at least 60 deer out of them.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Y'all would see it differently if you hunted whitetails in the east. You aren't going to kill many mature bucks just still hunting. The cover is too thick and noisy and the hunting pressure is greater here. I think that climbers are a great tool for any hunter that hunts in the timber for cagey and spooky critters like whitetails. I've never wanted to invest in too many stands so I just have a couple of climbers that I use on preselected trees. I've never used a rivers edge but my summit stands are really comfortable. My best advice is prescouting and preparing a few trees ahead of the hunt. Cut off any limbs that will prevent you from smoothly ascending and especially descending the tree. Make sure to a tie the upper and lower sections together! Nothing like being 30 ft up a tree when the bottom section goes down without you. The pros are portability and comfort. The only cons I can think of is noise. They are noisy when you are setting them up and can be noisy during the climb if you are on a rough barked tree.
    If you mean the east as in Mass? I was born and brought up there. That's where my dad taught me to still hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How many trophy whitetail did you kill still hunting out east? Post up some pics.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To still hunt here you have to go to the pristine river bottoms where you actually have open timber. I kill a bunch of hogs that way, but because I'm picky about what bucks I shoot it's just not smart for me to do it for deer.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    How many trophy whitetail did you kill still hunting out east? Post up some pics.

I don't even take pictures now. I sure didn't do it 50 years ago when I was there. My dad taught me to hunt. Not be a photographer. I have nothing to prove to anybody. It's not why I hunt.

You want to brag? Be my guest. I only talk about my hunting style. I've never bragged about any kill, and I won't.