Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not trying to brag either, just showing how effective treestand hunting can be. You were pretty quick to knock stand hunters earlier. Your way works for you, but there are other hunting methods. I think ivorytip will enjoy stand hunting, successful or not, and doesn't need anybody poo-pooing his attempts.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One of the problems here in Colorado (and a lot of other western states too) is that we hunt mostly in National Forests. If someone sees you cutting limbs on trees, your in trouble. It could be ticket time. Can't do that here, so it makes it kinda hard to use a tree stand. I do know some guys on private prop who do use them, but not too many.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    One of the problems here in Colorado (and a lot of other western states too) is that we hunt mostly in National Forests. If someone sees you cutting limbs on trees, your in trouble. It could be ticket time. Can't do that here, so it makes it kinda hard to use a tree stand. I do know some guys on private prop who do use them, but not too many.
    On the flip side of that coin, most of the whitetail hunting done here in the Midwest is on very small tracts of private ground, usually 80 or 160 acres. It's real easy to blow all the deer off the farm your hunting, unless you sit in a tree and wait for them to come to you.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I prefer tree stand whitetail hunting over all other ways of hunting. Not to sy I don't appreciate a good stalk out west though, that's why I'm on this website. I feel you are closest to the animal and it takes a great deal of patience. You hear everything in the woods and you almost become part of the woods since no animals know you are there!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Old Hunter I wasn't implying you can't kill deer still hunting back east. I was saying it is going to be difficult to consistently kill mature deer by still hunting. Like Crimson, Multi, and Fink said its easier here to kill mature bucks from a tree stand. Most land here is private land and in small tracts and you will screw up your season by scenting up and spooking all the deer you have to hunt if you still hunt a lot. I'm not knocking still hunting or stalking that too is the reason I love hunting out west. It is great fun and it seems to depend less on luck, but there is a lot more available land and if you spook something just go to the next ridge. Also things have changed a lot here in the east in the last 20 yrs. My brother is 10 yrs older than me and when he was in his teens they used to still hunt a lot. Nobody cared if you hunted their land so they could hunt anywhere and they didn't care if you spooked some deer, they would just hunt somewhere else. By the time I was in my teens the whitetail craze had come along and land was being rented left and right. Now you can't even step foot onto somebody's land to shoot a couple squirrels after deer season. Times have changed. I bet your old haunts in Mass have changed a lot in the last 50 yrs and the methods of hunting.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    I'm not trying to brag either, just showing how effective treestand hunting can be. You were pretty quick to knock stand hunters earlier. Your way works for you, but there are other hunting methods. I think ivorytip will enjoy stand hunting, successful or not, and doesn't need anybody poo-pooing his attempts.
    I didn't knock it. I joked about it. You're the one who got serious about it.

To be serious for a minute. Some might be surprised at what areas can be still hunted. It's not something that's easily picked up. It took me years to get good at it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I didn't knock it. I joked about it. You're the one who got serious about it.

To be serious for a minute. Some might be surprised at what areas can be still hunted. It's not something that's easily picked up. It took me years to get good at it.
    I agree it is a lot harder than it looks. Our fast paced lifestyles influence us even when we are hunting. I find myself moving too fast and have to constantly remind myself to slow down and hunt with my eyes. Old hunter I would urge you to take more photos. If not for yourself then for your kids and grandkids. Those are great ways to look back and relive those moments. It seems that hunting is a big part of who you are. Good luck with the climber Ivorytip. Let us know how it goes. Is it your first time hunting whitetails or do you just want to try something new this year?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i live 5 min from excelent whitetail hunting on riverbottoms, even have acsess to private prop but for some unknown reason i have never actually hunted them, allways see dandy bucks while fishing. decided to give it a whirl this year. i m going to try it on my elk hunt this fall, that bull i missed last year with my rifle, 2 years in a row ive seen him and smaller bulls and tons of cows near this wattering hole, im going to hang it near there by the trail leading to it. this bull has driven me crazy and i need closure if i dont draw that 2% odds rifle tag ill be stick bowing for him.