Thread: Moose in unit 6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    PM sent...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Went and scouted the unit this past weekend and figure we saw around 2% of the unit population-going off the prior year's population estimate-some look promising. We shall see.
    Last edited by wolfman; 08-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Went and scouted the unit this past weekend and figure we saw around 2% of the unit population-going off the prior year's population estimate-some look promising. We shall see. Thanks for the help guys! NOT!
    Unit 6 is a good moose area. What season are you hunting? Big bulls can be up above timberline early, and down in the aspens and willow drainages later. I know of a good outfitter for the area if you're looking to go guided, but it's certainly
    a good area to do it yourself. Good chance for a monster bull there. A good bull will have spread in the mid 40s, palms 10+ wide, and palm lengths 35" from brow palm to tops. Look for forking brows on both sides. Look at this link. . .

https://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...MooseHorns.pdf

You are going to have an awesome hunt. Soak up every bit of this hunt for those of us who will never draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice! Good luck.

I found this moose shed in 171

Rudy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    Unit 6 is a good moose area. What season are you hunting? Big bulls can be up above timberline early, and down in the aspens and willow drainages later. I know of a good outfitter for the area if you're looking to go guided, but it's certainly
    a good area to do it yourself. Good chance for a monster bull there. A good bull will have spread in the mid 40s, palms 10+ wide, and palm lengths 35" from brow palm to tops. Look for forking brows on both sides. Look at this link. . .

https://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCol...MooseHorns.pdf

You are going to have an awesome hunt. Soak up every bit of this hunt for those of us who will never draw!
    Thanks HiMtnHnter! What outfitter do you recommend? I have been trying to find how to judge a decent bull in terms of it's rack but finding info on just a Shiras for that purpose seems to be knd of hard to find.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntography View Post
    Nice! Good luck.

I found this moose shed in 171

Rudy

Very nice!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks HiMtnHnter! What outfitter do you recommend? I have been trying to find how to judge a decent bull in terms of it's rack but finding info on just a Shiras for that purpose seems to be knd of hard to find.
    Not much out there in terms of Shiras moose judging. You are in luck because 6 produces very good bulls. A big mature bull will not necessarily be super wide in that area, as only a handful of 50" bulls are killed in CO each year. Spread is only part of score. A mid 40's or above bull with forking brow palms is a good start. Look for 8-10+ points per side, with score-able points all the way to the tops. Colorado has great genetics, so wide palms are fairly common in bigger bulls. A bull with long points off the palm will have narrower palms, so look for a bull with scorable points, but plenty of palm. Point length counts for nothing. You want long, wide palms first, good spread, and mass last, as mass is a very small part of score. A bigger bull's antlers will also appear to come straight out and even droop down a little off his head. A younger bull's antlers will angle up out of his head. Again, look for a bull with forking brows. A good bull will have 3 points on his brow. Comanche Wilderness Outfitters guides to some of the biggests bulls in CO, and I believe they can hunt unit 6, but I'm not positive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I personally wouldn't consider using an outfitter. It's an easy enough hunt to DIY. They want a ton of money to do what you can do on your own. Moose are easier to hunt than elk or mule deer in my opinion. They aren't too spooky for the most part and are easy to see and somewhat predictable where they'll be. If your worried about not getting one or not getting a big enough one than I'd trade in the muzzleloader tag and get the rifle tag before I hired an outfitter. That allows you to hunt two weeks instead of the one week muzzleloader season. You can shoot one in the rifle season with a muzzleloader if you want too. CWO has taken some nice bulls but so do DIY hunters every year. Look at the stats online and see how much bigger the outfitter bulls are compared to the DIY hunters... not much difference. Put in your time, hunt the whole season and you'll likely get a great bull and save yourself $5K or more...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I personally wouldn't consider using an outfitter. It's an easy enough hunt to DIY. They want a ton of money to do what you can do on your own. Moose are easier to hunt than elk or mule deer in my opinion. They aren't too spooky for the most part and are easy to see and somewhat predictable where they'll be. If your worried about not getting one or not getting a big enough one than I'd trade in the muzzleloader tag and get the rifle tag before I hired an outfitter. That allows you to hunt two weeks instead of the one week muzzleloader season. You can shoot one in the rifle season with a muzzleloader if you want too. CWO has taken some nice bulls but so do DIY hunters every year. Look at the stats online and see how much bigger the outfitter bulls are compared to the DIY hunters... not much difference. Put in your time, hunt the whole season and you'll likely get a great bull and save yourself $5K or more...
    Thanks for the info guys! With regard to the outfitters....I have talked to a couple of them. Scott at CWO wanted 5k plus a 1k harvest fee. I told him straight away that I probably couldn't make that work with the boss. Seems like a nice enough guy but I think I tend to agree with you CoHiCntry. I don't think it will be overly hard to DIY-espeically based upon what my scouting turned up this weekend. The other thing that kinda gets me is the outiffters all want a premium (although not quite as much as CWO) because it is a once in a lifetime tag and the fact of the matter is it is probably less work for them to have a client kill a decent bull moose in CO than it would be to kill a nice bull elk. Makes no sense. But supply and demand i guess. I haven't ruled out using an outiffter-because it is a once in a lifetime gig-but I haven't commited to going with one either. It was recommended to me that I turn in my ML tag and get a rifle one as the rut will be in full swing for rifle season. Ah decisions, decisions....my thought about the ML season is that the competition will be much less but maybe that doesn't matter. Thanks again guys. I'm all ears to any and all info.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Smile

Thanks for the info guys! With regard to the outfitters....I have talked to a couple of them. Scott at CWO wanted 5k plus a 1k harvest fee. I told him straight away that I probably couldn't make that work with the boss. Seems like a nice enough guy but I think I tend to agree with you CoHiCntry. I don't think it will be overly hard to DIY-espeically based upon what my scouting turned up this weekend. The other thing that kinda gets me is the outiffters all want a premium (although not quite as much as CWO) because it is a once in a lifetime tag and the fact of the matter is it is probably less work for them to have a client kill a decent bull moose in CO than it would be to kill a nice bull elk. Makes no sense. But supply and demand i guess. I haven't ruled out using an outiffter-because it is a once in a lifetime gig-but I haven't commited to going with one either. It was recommended to me that I turn in my ML tag and get a rifle one as the rut will be in full swing for rifle season. Ah decisions, decisions....my thought about the ML season is that the competition will be much less but maybe that doesn't matter. Thanks again guys. I'm all ears to any and all info.
    I agree about the outfitter, I just threw it in as an option. I would not use an outfitter if I had the tag (and I never will have the tag). I also think I would do rifle if I had the tag, two weeks when no one else is there would be unbelievable. I would also not shoot the first decent bull I saw. Did I mention I will never have the tag?