Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moose in unit 6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    wolfman,

Congratulations! I drew the mzldr bull moose tag in unit 6 last year (it took me 3+10 points) so I know how you feel! I might be able to help you out and can tell you my experience, but the first thing you can do is go to the statistics page on the CPW website and use a Gazetteer map book to pinpoint the grid locations of all the bull moose that have been killed in unit 6 in the past several years. My first piece of advice is that even though there are lots of moose in unit 6, they can appear and disappear like ghosts. So just because you scout and find some decent ones, you may not ever see them again once the season starts. Some people seem to think that you must hold out until you find the absolute biggest bull in the entire unit, but to me a bull moose is a bull moose, if you are happy with it then go ahead and pull the trigger. It's your hunt and your experience, so don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moose Ground 1 - crop.jpg   Steve Moose 002 (1).jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion/CO View Post
    wolfman,

Congratulations! I drew the mzldr bull moose tag in unit 6 last year (it took me 3+10 points) so I know how you feel! I might be able to help you out and can tell you my experience, but the first thing you can do is go to the statistics page on the CPW website and use a Gazetteer map book to pinpoint the grid locations of all the bull moose that have been killed in unit 6 in the past several years. My first piece of advice is that even though there are lots of moose in unit 6, they can appear and disappear like ghosts. So just because you scout and find some decent ones, you may not ever see them again once the season starts. Some people seem to think that you must hold out until you find the absolute biggest bull in the entire unit, but to me a bull moose is a bull moose, if you are happy with it then go ahead and pull the trigger. It's your hunt and your experience, so don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't shoot.
    Thanks Orion/CO!!! PM sent~

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Been wondering... how did it go???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm not aware that you can swap a muzzleloader tag for a rifle tag for moose. They are all issued by drawing and only so many tags are issued for each unit so it would seem that since the tags are in such high demand that all the rifle tags would have been issued. The CPW doesn't have extra tags just laying around to give out. If it was me, I'd call the CPW and ask them about that.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    I'm not aware that you can swap a muzzleloader tag for a rifle tag for moose. They are all issued by drawing and only so many tags are issued for each unit so it would seem that since the tags are in such high demand that all the rifle tags would have been issued. The CPW doesn't have extra tags just laying around to give out. If it was me, I'd call the CPW and ask them about that.
    Yes, you can exchange a moose tag for a different method of take if done before Sept 7th. Not positive about the date, but it's early Sept.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's good to know, OH. Thanks.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The trick is to get that blasted tag. I know where the moose are, but i'm way too old to start saving moose points now. I should have done it 30 years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Personally I have found them rutting better during Muzzy season and harder to find during the rifle! We are all waiting how you did, unless you are going rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry I have been remiss in posting my results. I did get one. Not as big (was a tad over 37 inches) as I was hoping for but he was the biggest I had seen during my hunt. Given the fact that I was by myself and he was less than 100 yards from a road I decided he would do. Shot him at about 50 yards. He went another 10 yards and fell. Was a complete pass through. I was pretty happy and relieved. Also thankful for my new found friends that helped me get it to my truck after I had gutted it and cut it in half. Getting it to that point was chore!
    Lot of trials and tribulations with flooding-almost didn't make it out of town on time- and some truck issues-I hate the emissions crap on these new trucks-during the hunt too. Was not the most fun hunt I have ever done but I won't soon forget it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moose_hunt_012.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	6737

BTW you can exchange your tag. I almost did with all the flooding going on and the issues I had to deal with on that. I just had to do it prior to the 14th when my season was to begin. In fact I called the CPW and confirmed it and ran into the guy that had drawn the other muzzle loader tag for this unit but he turned his in for rifle tag. He was up scouting. Thanks to all for all the advice and info on this site. Especially to Orion/CO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    That's awesome! Congratulations!!! Looks like a real nice bull. Planning on getting him mounted? What load did you end up using out of your muzzleloader?