Thanks

High end spotter help

My wife gave me the go a head on a new spotter. I am looking at the Meopta HD with an 82mm, and the Swarovski 65mm. What are your thoughts? If I can swing it, is the Swarovski 80mm worth the extra $600. Or would I be good with the 65. I hunt the Rockies. I will be packing it. I will use it for Mule Deer, Elk and Antelope.
    Last edited by ssliger; 05-25-2013 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    I'm not Bitterroot but I'd like to give some thoughts on the matter. I am a swaro man. Not because I think they are superior. I feel that all of the top end optics , swaro, Leica, Zeiss, Kowa, Meostar, etc., etc. are all great glass and equal in thier owne way. I like Swarovski because of the great warranty and thier reputation for backing it up. Also, of all of the optic companies out there, Swarovski has the biggest line of accessories. Such as several digiscoping adapters and equipment, scope covers, tripods, optic backpacks and you can get on youtube and find lots of stuff about digiscoping and just glassing in general. Don't get me wrong, the other companies have these things to varying degrees but swarovski does it all. When I got my first scope I was not interested in digiscoping but found myself taking more and more pictures through my scope until I realized I love digiscoping.
    Meopta puts out some great optics and Cabelas sells the phone scope for Meopta optics. Vortex is another company that is huge in the accessory support and thier warranty is exceptional. Plus, there are plenty of aftermarket items you can buy that will fit most popular optics. But my vote still goes for Swaro because of the quality of the optics, service, and support.
    Goodluck and let us know which one you choose to get. fatrascal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fatrascal For This Useful Post:

ssliger (05-25-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    My wife gave me the go a head on a new spotter. I am looking at the Meopta HD with an 82mm, and the Swarovski 65mm. What are your thoughts? If I can swing it, is the Swarovski 80mm worth the extra $600. Or would I be good with the 65. I hunt the Rockies. I will be packing it. I will use it for Mule Deer, Elk and Antelope.
    Again I'm not bb,
    My thought on this is it depends on you! If you are packing in, is the weight penalty worth it? I have an 80 and to ME it is worth it. That is how I have killed almost every animal is spotting them from miles off. A lot of guys that hunt where you do though opt for the 65 and there is nothing wrong with the 65.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

ssliger (05-25-2013)

Thanks
    I think the 80s are worth the additional weight bc of the clarity once you crank the power up. If you can't crank it up, you might as well have a pair of 15x SLCs and a tripod to attach them to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

ssliger (05-25-2013)

Thanks
    I would take the Meopta w/ 30-60 WA eyepiece over either the ATS 65HD or 80HD w/ either eyepiece.

It has an awesome wide 60x view. The downside is barrel distortion on the low end and a stiffer focus ring.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

ssliger (05-25-2013)