Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Deer hunting in D7 or D8?

Hi,

last year my buddy and I started hunting for the first time. We were extremely excited to get started, we have both been fishing and camping since we were young but nether one of our fathers hunted so we had no one to show us the ropes. We tried hunting D7 last season near wishion and it was NOT a good experience. We had no idea what we were doing and it just became frustrating. Of course since then we have had a year to research and read up, but we are still wet behind the ears. This season we are determined to get a deer! We do NOT want to go back to wishion.

would anyone be kind enough to give us some ideas of where to hunt in D7 or D8?
    I have read about people saying above the timber line but have no idea where that is or how to get there.
    I have also been told to try Aheart meadows?

Also what kind of techniques should we use? last season we just went walking around for hours and it was incredibly ineffective. Even when we did get to a high point the vegetation was to dense to glass.

Any info would help!

thank you all

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well I really don't know where to start, but I'll try. I hunt D7 but the eastern edge. With the season in late September, the deer are still pretty much high (where it's cool & there are fewer insects to deal with). You need to get into the mountains as far as the roads will take you. Get away from NF camps and basically civilization! Do a bunch of scouting this summer. Get some good maps and hike the trails that go east and up higher. Do some backpacking and fishing in the backcountry this summe, always looking for deer...sign too (tracks & poop). Remember the deer are active mostly at night, early morning and late evening. They will mostly bed down during the heat of the day.

Hope this helps some. Good deer hunters work hard at learning their craft, deer habits and finding good place that produce animals. When you put everything together, you will do well...just keep at it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    You should pick up some hunting books such as David longs public land muleys, Eastmans books as well. A lot of it can apply to your neck of the woods.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great suggestions!
    We want to do a lot of scouting this summer
    It was suggested that we take the 168 up to huntington a good way to start then just keep heading up from there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do exactly what Colorado Cowboy said, and you will probably shoot a buck this year.