Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Never could afford out of state elk tags so I solved that by finding teaching jobs for my wife and I in western Wyoming! LOL I probably drop a grand a year on licenses, gas, tags etc when I lived in Nebraska. Hunted deer, antelope, upland birds and waterfowl, along with calling coyotes. I didn't count tree stands, guns etc because they where one time purchases and I could get some of my money back out of them by selling them. I'm hoping I can keep it about the same out here but gas prices are really causing me to look close home (2 to 3 hour radius) for elk and deer hunting. Luckily there is lots of public ground out here. I can't play with the big boys on a teachers salary but I get enough hunting in to keep my family in venison and me happy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't spend a whole lot on hunting each year. I'm not sure on the actual percentage or dollar amount, but I usually go on one trip with a buddy about 3 hours away for archery then go a little bit later with my dad for rifle. I don't get to go much, but end up spending about a week each trip so its not a bad deal. I have some places I hunt WT close to home, but haven't gotten the chance to arrow one yet. I'd love to hunt a ton right now, but my wife and I are more concerned about paying everything off while we are young, so 15-20 years from now we won't have any payments of any kind and will be able to do pretty much whatever we want when we want. Hopefully that means by the time my baby (due the first part of July) will be able to come hunting with me a lot more!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunt while you're young enough to do it well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Everything except elk.
    No elk on this side of the state that aren't pen raised. A buddy of mine has a 70k acre lease in West Tx with free ranging elk on it. Last helicopter survey showed 150 head had come in from the Davis Mountains. The $ & management goals here is in mule deer & whitetail so a lot of landowners out there want you shooting them year-round. For that lease it's $3000 with 5 guys hunting it, but they have a 10yr avg of 180 on their MD bucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    To much!! I need to move!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    No elk on this side of the state that aren't pen raised. A buddy of mine has a 70k acre lease in West Tx with free ranging elk on it. Last helicopter survey showed 150 head had come in from the Davis Mountains. The $ & management goals here is in mule deer & whitetail so a lot of landowners out there want you shooting them year-round. For that lease it's $3000 with 5 guys hunting it, but they have a 10yr avg of 180 on their MD bucks.

Cheaper to move to Colorado.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Could be, they get 10 buck permits and 20 doe permits to divide amongst theirselves....and can still apply for the public drawing to use the tags on their licenses

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ....for me, 1 of our places I limit to 2 bucks shot total & some does if the ratio falls under 2:1. On another place, I get between 35-50 deer permits from the state every year. I've only shot 2 deer total off that place in 6yrs, but the community 4H kids (who must be on Honor Roll) get to wreck havoc on those deer. I have them be picky on bucks after they've shot their firsts, but the does are scared. All those tags run me a cool $68 for a Super Combo hunting/fishing license and a small amount of my time finalizing a harvest log and emailing it to one of the State's biologists. Of course, it is TX and you know how we are about feeding and planting stuff for deer, so it runs more than the initial $68 out of want rather than necessity.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    All that food you feed them doesn't seem to make them grow much bigger than our rabbits.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol..no they dont, but there's a lot more of them and a different subspecies..does usually weigh between 80-120 LW, bucks between 150-200 depending on their builds. The elk get bigger on a 20% protein & gulf coastal diet though