Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk Calls

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk Calls

I was just wondering if anyone could recomend some good calls and instructional dvds or books. Hoping to do a little rut hunting and would like to be a little better than the guys who I heard a few years ago that apparently just bought their calls and had no clue how to use them. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thats easy. http://www.elknut.com/index.html
    it's helped me big time. i've killed 2 elk (cows) in 3 years using techniques from "The PlayBook" and dvd's. the learning curve is getting shorter!
    I Love the smell of Elk in the mornin
    The arrow is everything

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can't go wrong with the ELK NUT, number one would be to get the "The PlayBook". As for calls I really like Bugling Bull game calls. Good Luck!
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the hoochiemamma cow call for an easy to use call that works very well. For a bugle, I like the mac daddy by hunters specialty. There are tons of bugles to choose from. This one works by just blowing through it like a straw and using a lever you press with your thumb or finger. It does cow, calf, bull, and you can make a good distressed rabbit call with it too. Just a note: Bulls dont care too much for rabbit, so if your elk hunting with it, stick to the elk sounds. LOL.

I have used a few mouth reeds from primos, they work very very well in practice. However I have NEVER got my mouth reeds to work in the field due to dry mouth syndrome. When your hiking, or getting an adrenaline rush from getting close, its really hard to produce enough spit to make em work. Thats where these other two calls work awesome.

The MacDaddy call comes with a nice DVD too, and it shows you how to do all the calls you want with it. I like the DVD, its nice to be able to watch it, listen to it, then run your own bugle until you can hear your efforst match the videos.

One major important note with the MacDaddy bugle though. It uses a reed, that is internal. It comes with one extra and thats it. Every place I have been to that sells this bugle, fails to sell the replacement reeds for it. You will need to locate them online, and I recommend never go into the field without a back up reed. If they tear, it will sound like a dieing cat choking on a wet sock.

Good luck and have fun with your calls.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have gotten all the advice anyone would ever need already. ELKNUT'S PLAYBOOK & BUGLING BULL GAME CALL CO. The Mellow Yellow is a must!
    "Shooting for the FUTURE"
    www.scootersyouthhuntingcamp.com
    Mossy Oak, Carbon Express, Parker Bows, Copper John, Montana Decoys and VPA Broadheads.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another place to look is your local Sportsman's or Cabela's. They have guys who get payed to help you figure out what you are doing. I know a Primos rep who teaches calling and his goal is to make sure you get the best out of their products. Instead of just trying to mimic a DVD you can get one on one feedback and advice on what you can do to improve your own calling. These guys are everywhere. I met one who reped for another company last week who lives in Colorado and it sounds like he does the same thing. If you were closer I would recommend the Wood River RMEF banquet this Saturday near Hailey Idaho. There will be an elk calling seminar before the banquet starts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Definitely Elknut! Paul will take care of you and answer any question you may have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Rocky at Bugling Bull has put out some instructional elk calling videos that you can get at bugling bull.com. If you do a "bugling bull game calls" search on UTUBE, Rocky also has some instructial clips which cost nothing to watch.
    Dirk Durham
    Elk 101 Prostaff
    www.elk101.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice tip Dirk! Thanks for letting us know. Free is always a good thing these days.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.