Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra or Ford F150

all crew cab, 4x4 biggest motor possible etc. Which would you choose and why?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    I own a Ford simply because I need a 1 ton for my camper and towing. If I could I would own a Toyota in a heartbeat simply due to the outstanding reliability of their vehicles as a whole. I so wish they made a one ton pick up.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    NONE OF THE ABOVE!! First...yes I'd buy a Ford, but it would not be an F150. Really. you don't say what you are going to use it for. Can't be for a lot of off road use because what you list is really too big. Yes 4x4 will get you to a lot of off road places, but not like a short wb like a jeep or small pu.

If you are going to do any towing, then it would be an F250 short bed, crew cab, 4x4 diesel. I have a F350, 4x4, short bed, xtra cab with a powerstroke 7.3 that will tow anything and get me almost anyplace the trucks you have listed can go. I also had a Toyota (86) PU, 4x4, 4 cyl that could go anywhere a jeep could go and still carry out a couple of elk.

Just my take. I could go on all day about trucks and what you need, and what you plan on using it for.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I typically pull a trailer with my ATV and feed to our farm pretty regularly but I dont own a camper. I also use my 30 HP john deere tractor and pull it an hour or so to my farm periodically but not all the time. I have a tundra now and love the truck but would like something with 4 full doors and a full sized bed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I have a '01 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew cab long box, A standard cab '98 Chevy 3/4 tn 6.5 diesel and a '03 Dodge 3/4 tn crew cab long box cummins work truck. They all have thier plus and minus. I know of no truck that can do it all, thats why I have 3 trucks and a Jeep, wait 2 Jeeps.

Why not a Chevy 1500 4 door for you?
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 05-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I don't know if anybody makes a 1/2 ton w/ both crew cab and long bed.

I have an F250, so I'm biased. I like the attention that Ford put into the design and materials and from what I've seen, the F150s are more or less a small version of a Super Duty as far as the interior design is concerned.

I haven't driven a Tundra, so I can't speak to it personally, but I guy I work with has one and loves it.

Dodge, the last time I rode in one (a couple of years ago when my parents were looking at one, so it may have changed), I wasn't impressed just because of the quality of the materials in the interior and the layout. And that was the deluxe model.

Chevy - We have Chevy full-size trucks at work and I have the same complaint about them as I do about the Dodges - poor layout and not thrilled about the materials.

Chevy and Dodge both seem to be decent trucks and drive well enough, but it's the little details that make for easier driving and more comfort that make the difference with the Ford for me.

As Colorado Cowboy pointed out, another thing you need to look at is the wheel-base. I can take my truck out on some pretty nasty dirt roads and off-road as long as there is plenty of room. I can't get it on Jeep trails or roads on the side of hills with hair-pin turns, I've got a short bed and it's still just too long and too big.

So, if you want to do trails, you'll need to consider that.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just sold my big camp trailer and now I am selling my 2008 duramax. I will abuse the chevy 1500 that my boss has graciously supplied me with. If I get another big pickup, it will likely be an older ford with a 7.3 or I may even go back to gas engines(I never thought I would ever say that). I think most of the newer diesel rigs are just a giant failed experiment. If you want to lower emissions by 25%, uncork the diesels and use 25% less fuel.

Sorry for being off topic. The duramax i have now is the first short bed i have ever had. I really like the way they get around. I was looking at fabricating a break down rack that would go above the bed to load more stuff. Could be firewood or other supplies going in, and bags of Elk going out. We have managed for the last 2 years to take an entire wall tent setup and gear for our party of 3 in one pickup without a trailer. Pretty awsome on cash if you can do that. I also try to avoid getting into snow on the passes and having an officer hassle me to chain up because I am towing a little trailer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    The tundra comes in a distant second based on the technology used in their engine and drive train.

Ford is having major problems with their ecoboost engine, but you said you wanted to the biggest so thats either the powerstroke diesel or the 5.0 I think. My sister has had major problems blowing spark plugs and having to helicoil thread back in. I had multiple transmission problems with my F150.

I currently have a silverado work truck with 140,000 mile on it. Replaced full pump and that's the only repair. I really like the chevy's. My hunting partner has a crew cab z71 and I love driving it on our trips out west.

If I was buying a 2014 I would look very very hard at the Ram. Its one of the most advanced trucks on the road. 8 speed transmission, great fuel economy if you opt for the V6, smoother ride with rear coil spring suspension.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i run a 03 dodge 2500 cummins 4 door long bed 4x4 and besides the few flaws it has with its cheap interior id put it over any truck out there. when it comes to off roading id go with a 85 or 86 toyota pickup, their light and last forever.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    One thing to watch on the smaller pickups is overheating. My company pickup wasn't bought with the tow package. I think the tow packages get better cooling on engine and tranny which allows us to overload the 1/2 tons a little.