Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Im a cummins man myself. But if I were in the market for a half ton I would drop the coin on a ecoboost ford for sure. My brother in law just picked one up. Twin turbo v6. Great mileage. Pretty good tow capacity for a half ton. And quick! The back seat is larger than my 4 door 1 ton dodge. No hump in the middle for the drive line so its great for overnight scouting. May want to do some research on the ecoboost. Looks to be the best of both worlds in a half ton.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    I have an 04 F150 and it has treated me well. I have 152,000 on it right now and haven't dumped much into it. Replaced the shocks, spark plugs (these were terrible when they came out with my engine... don't ask), ball joints, and timing chain. That's about it. Mine is a 4x4 crew cab short bed and it does well off road and hauling, but I don't haul that much with my personal vehicle. If you are looking for power, get a diesel. If you are looking for a 1/2 ton I have heard good things about Toyota but have no direct experience with them. I don't think you can go wrong either way personally. I'm still waiting on someone to come out with a small block diesel that can go in a 1/2 ton... I would be sold on that!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_20 View Post
    i run a 03 dodge 2500 cummins 4 door long bed 4x4 and besides the few flaws it has with its cheap interior id put it over any truck out there. when it comes to off roading id go with a 85 or 86 toyota pickup, their light and last forever.
    The 85 toyota has a straight front axle. Much better than the 86+up independent suspension.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by muleywannabe View Post
    all crew cab, 4x4 biggest motor possible etc. Which would you choose and why?
    Muley, I have a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V-8, crew cab with an 8 ft. box. Absolutely no problems whatsoever in 70,000 miles.
    I tried out the Ford & Dodge 1/2 tons and was not impressed. My buddy bought an F-150 and it's been back to the dealers more times than he'd like to remember. The Dodge just reeked cheapness. The Toyota is a heavy duty 1/2 ton and the only one that I could find with a full 8 ft. bed. It handles my Bronco pop-up camper easily...I love my Tundra...JMO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    The 85 toyota has a straight front axle. Much better than the 86+up independent suspension.
    Toyota went to all fuel injection in 87 too. I had an 86 4 cyl with a carb, last year they made those. I put 350K miles on it and used it like a jeep. Had a winch and towbar too. Like I said, with big tires for better clearance, would go anywhere a jeep could....and carry out a couple of elk in the short bed.

Everything is very subjective and opinonated when you talk trucks. First you have to make a list of what you expect the truck to do. Then find the one that does the most on your list. There is going to be lots of trade offs, as there will probably not be one that does everything. Thats why I had 2 trucks!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was going with a 1/2 ton it would be a chevy. I've got a 2011 ext cab 1/2 ton 4X4 Chevy. 85 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel & 2012 Dodge crew cab 4X4 1 ton diesel. I love the cummins engine! That thing will pull!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    May want to throw the nissan titan on your list. I had one before I got my 1 ton and loved that truck! Power to spare. No problems. And well built. Just an idea.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Whatever I bought it would be American. Since i'm a retired truck driver. I like the Dodge/Cummings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Whatever I bought it would be American. Since i'm a retired truck driver. I like the Dodge/Cummings.
    Thats what im driving. Dont let the hype fool ya. This truck is half mexican and states it on majority of the door panels. Full american is tough to find.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    I have an 04 F150 and it has treated me well. I have 152,000 on it right now and haven't dumped much into it. Replaced the shocks, spark plugs (these were terrible when they came out with my engine... don't ask), ball joints, and timing chain. That's about it. Mine is a 4x4 crew cab short bed and it does well off road and hauling, but I don't haul that much with my personal vehicle. If you are looking for power, get a diesel. If you are looking for a 1/2 ton I have heard good things about Toyota but have no direct experience with them. I don't think you can go wrong either way personally. I'm still waiting on someone to come out with a small block diesel that can go in a 1/2 ton... I would be sold on that!
    ditto on the small diesel. I thought chevy was working on this a few years ago, but evidently haven't put anything together yet.