Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    In my first post I said that a person needs to make a list of their needs, then buy whatever satisfies them. Most really don't need a rig like I have, but those that do, then the need for a big PU diesel is there.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Copy that CC. I know things change too, I never thought I would need a truck thats as long as a train, till I met my wife and she had 3 girls. Man girls bring alot of stuff along! You just can't get it all in a standard cab??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a 96 powerstroke that now has 334,000 on it and has had no major problems. I got it at 227,000 when it was totaled by my cousin that bought it new and I fixed it. I have drove an 01 dodge with a cummings quite a bit and will agree that a cummings will out pull it, but I dont really like the rest of the dodge. These days with fuel like it is I only drive my truck when I really need it and drive my geo or chevy cavalier when I dont need a truck. If fuel costs were not an issue I would drive my 65 ford f250 almost everywhere!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My son in law drivers Fords, a couple friends have chevys, and I drive a Dodge 3500 dually 4X4. It has been bar none the best truck I have ever owned. It is an '03 bought new, and the only thing that went out and needed to be replaced to date has been a water pump. Normal maintenance on the front end kept the original equipment fine until 130,000 miles when it started showing some wear so elected to replace the hubs and bearings then, rather than take a chance of getting stranded with the big trailer! The Fords have had several trannies and/or turbos replaced. My Six speed manual transmission with the Cummins still has the original clutch, transmission, alternator and batteries. The Chevys I just don't like probably because no one in my entire family has ever driven a chevy!
    I have a 36' living quarters horse trailer that weighs 14,000 pounds and it pulls it at 70 mph with no problem. My mileage will drop off with the big trailer from 20 mpg to 12 to 14 mpg. With my little 3 horse slant load and a little camper the mileage hardly drops at all!
    Ya I like my Dodge!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a 2011 Ram Crewcab Bighorn with a Hemi. Its has 390 HP. On the freeway I get 20 mpg and towing my utility trailer with my camp I get 17 mpg. The only problem I have had with the truck is the tire pressure sensors malfunctioning. This truck is fun to drive and it looks great. I can't wait to fill it up with an elk this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I have a 2011 Ram Crewcab Bighorn with a Hemi. Its has 390 HP. On the freeway I get 20 mpg and towing my utility trailer with my camp I get 17 mpg. The only problem I have had with the truck is the tire pressure sensors malfunctioning. This truck is fun to drive and it looks great. I can't wait to fill it up with an elk this year.
    Me too! I cant wait til fall! I think I will order up a 2014 Ram 1500

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    But is it imported to the US. Lots of our vehicles are sold out of the US with small. efficient diesels that arn't sold here. I believe Ford sells the F150 & Explorer in Canada with a small diesel.

I will NEVER buy another large PU (3/4 or 1 ton) with a gas engine. My 1999 Ford F350, 7.3 Powerstroke (my 3rd diesel) is 4x4, extra cab, short bed and automatic trans. It now has 235,000 miles on it with no repairs or breakdowns. Just minor maint. The tranny has never been apart, just serviced every 40K or so. I get around 20mpg driving on interstates as long as I keep the speed at around 65. I get 15/16 towing my 8500# travel trailer. Sorry....couldn't do that if it had a gas engine.I've been driving PU diesels since 1984 and will never buy a gas rig in a bigger PU again.
    I talked to one guy with a 7.3 F250 who had 300,000 on his and he had a friend with over 1,000,000 on his.

I would have preferred a diesel, but I don't tow a big enough trailer enough to justify the extra $8,000+ a diesel would have cost. The V10 pulls great, but it sucks gas like crazy and it only gets worse when I'm hauling a load or twoing my trailer w/ or without a load.

When I was looking at trucks, the prices were just stupidly high. I saw one 2008 with 66,000 miles on it (this was in 2009) and the place selling it was asking $8,000 less than the original sale prices ($50,000 vs $58,000).

I've also heard repeatedly that the 6.4L diesels, which is what mine would have had, had a lot of problems. One guy I talked to who also bought a V10 F250 said that a friend of his who's a Ford mechanic said a lot of the 6.4s spend more time in the shop than they do on the road.

It seems that plenty of them work fine, but the ones that do have problems tend to have a lot of problems.

BMW is finally bringing diesels here, a friend of ours has an X5 with the diesel. Deustche Welle (Germany) has a car show similar to Motorweek and they have a good number of diesels on there, including BMWs, Mercedes and Porches.

The mileage of the the cars with the diesels is better (usually significantly) than their gasoline powered versions.

Bad environmental policy and a bad rap conspire to limit diesel availability here, which is too bad.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    In my first post I said that a person needs to make a list of their needs, then buy whatever satisfies them. Most really don't need a rig like I have, but those that do, then the need for a big PU diesel is there.

No doubt! That's why I get my lists together & place a call to the local dealer to get them ordered for me. Bypasses getting charged the interest for it sitting on their lot. That being said, I'd have a hard time buying any from the list bc of my needs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will chime in here because I have two of the three. One is a 2010 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 the other is a 2013 Toyota Tundra Crew Max with Rock Warrior package. My wife drives the Ford. Been her truck from the beginning (mile 4 on the odometer) She now has 43000 on it. Great truck. Really like the back seat. Way more room that anything I have seen on the market. Even bigger than the Super Duty of any manufacturer. Gas mileage is right at 21 on the highway. Three months ago I started looking for a new truck for me. I looked at Rams, Chevy, Fords 1500 up to 2500s. Then I started reading about the Tundra. Out of the big 3 I had nailed down to another Ford f150 but started putting that up against the Tundra. MPG. The fords beats the pants off the Tundra. I have the 5.7 engine in the tundra and get 15.5. But it also has the 4.30 gear and it can flat out destroy the ford with torque. You step on the gas and you move period. The ford probably has a little more room in the back passenger area, but the Tundra has a sliding rear seat that reclines. At first I wasn't realy keen on loosing the floor space as the seat doesn't raise up. But the comfort of the drive trumped that. I like the way the fords drive. Stiff suspension. Tundra is same way. You turn the wheel on either one and the vehicle moves. No play like in Chevys. The tundra rids way smoother than than the ford but not soft like chevy. The controls are thought out and functional. I like the fact there are knobs for heat controls instead of a button that has digital readout.

Like everyone says.. what meets your needs. I have always been a Ford guy. But went with Tundra. I am not so worried about MPG because I live in Laramie right now. So most of time I don't use much fuel anyway.

But if MPG is a big deal go with ford.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    I talked to one guy with a 7.3 F250 who had 300,000 on his and he had a friend with over 1,000,000 on his.

I would have preferred a diesel, but I don't tow a big enough trailer enough to justify the extra $8,000+ a diesel would have cost. The V10 pulls great, but it sucks gas like crazy and it only gets worse when I'm hauling a load or twoing my trailer w/ or without a load.

When I was looking at trucks, the prices were just stupidly high. I saw one 2008 with 66,000 miles on it (this was in 2009) and the place selling it was asking $8,000 less than the original sale prices ($50,000 vs $58,000).

I've also heard repeatedly that the 6.4L diesels, which is what mine would have had, had a lot of problems. One guy I talked to who also bought a V10 F250 said that a friend of his who's a Ford mechanic said a lot of the 6.4s spend more time in the shop than they do on the road.

It seems that plenty of them work fine, but the ones that do have problems tend to have a lot of problems.

BMW is finally bringing diesels here, a friend of ours has an X5 with the diesel. Deustche Welle (Germany) has a car show similar to Motorweek and they have a good number of diesels on there, including BMWs, Mercedes and Porches.

The mileage of the the cars with the diesels is better (usually significantly) than their gasoline powered versions.

Bad environmental policy and a bad rap conspire to limit diesel availability here, which is too bad.
    My cousin ended up lemon lawing his 6.4L he had so many problems with it. Most of the problem was with the EGR. Every so many miles it would go out. I hear there are aftermarket upgrades now to cure it though. At 1 point ford had the whole body off of it to fix something too. He had a 6.0L before it and it had problems too. Now he has the new 6.7L and it hasnt had any problems. I have his old 7.3L with 334,000 on it that he totaled and I got for salvage and fixed and it has never had any major problems. Sure was fun rubbing it in that his old truck was running good when his new ones were in the shop!!! I think Ford would have alot more happy customers if they had stuck with the old 7.3L. Really I dont think its the engines them selves, its all the emissions stuff they have to put on them now.