Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    My cousin ended up lemon lawing his 6.4L he had so many problems with it. Most of the problem was with the EGR. Every so many miles it would go out. I hear there are aftermarket upgrades now to cure it though. At 1 point ford had the whole body off of it to fix something too. He had a 6.0L before it and it had problems too. Now he has the new 6.7L and it hasnt had any problems. I have his old 7.3L with 334,000 on it that he totaled and I got for salvage and fixed and it has never had any major problems. Sure was fun rubbing it in that his old truck was running good when his new ones were in the shop!!! I think Ford would have alot more happy customers if they had stuck with the old 7.3L. Really I dont think its the engines them selves, its all the emissions stuff they have to put on them now.
    I've seen some articles about aftermarket upgrades to fix a lot of the problems with the 6.4s, including the EGR, but you would think that, at some point, Ford would fess up and at least split the cost of replacing the known bad parts with better replacements instead of leaving the owners to pay for them.

I know I would not be a fan of Ford if I spent $50,000+ on a truck, only to have to pony up several thousand more dollars to replace poorly engineered parts.

It would save them a serious beating on their reputation as well as more money down the road fixing them.

You mentioned them having the body off, they have to do that to get to the turbos and everything else because they packed it so tight. Removal of the heads to replace the head bolts, which are apparently a commonly failing component, requires removing the body.

As far as the problems with the engines, most of them come down to physics - they're trying to make more power with a smaller engine.

The loss of displacement means they have to run higher compression, more boost and higher RPMs, which in turn means higher pressures and temperatures.

Combine that with the absolute minimum amount of metal necessary to hold the engine together under normal conditions to save money (bean counters) and weight (fuel economy) and you end up with a bomb waiting to go off.

The emissions equipment just adds another, separate dimension to the complexity and potential problems.

What I've read is that they supposedly couldn't economically redesign the 7.3 to meet the new emissions requirements.

My guess is that they probably could have redesigned the top end of the 7.3 (which is what is most effect by the emissions requirements) for as much or less than what they've probably spent on the 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 and all of their various problems.

But, we all know that newer is ALWAYS better...
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    I've seen some articles about aftermarket upgrades to fix a lot of the problems with the 6.4s, including the EGR, but you would think that, at some point, Ford would fess up and at least split the cost of replacing the known bad parts with better replacements instead of leaving the owners to pay for them.

I know I would not be a fan of Ford if I spent $50,000+ on a truck, only to have to pony up several thousand more dollars to replace poorly engineered parts.

It would save them a serious beating on their reputation as well as more money down the road fixing them.

You mentioned them having the body off, they have to do that to get to the turbos and everything else because they packed it so tight. Removal of the heads to replace the head bolts, which are apparently a commonly failing component, requires removing the body.

As far as the problems with the engines, most of them come down to physics - they're trying to make more power with a smaller engine.

The loss of displacement means they have to run higher compression, more boost and higher RPMs, which in turn means higher pressures and temperatures.

Combine that with the absolute minimum amount of metal necessary to hold the engine together under normal conditions to save money (bean counters) and weight (fuel economy) and you end up with a bomb waiting to go off.

The emissions equipment just adds another, separate dimension to the complexity and potential problems.

What I've read is that they supposedly couldn't economically redesign the 7.3 to meet the new emissions requirements.

My guess is that they probably could have redesigned the top end of the 7.3 (which is what is most effect by the emissions requirements) for as much or less than what they've probably spent on the 6.0, 6.4 and now the 6.7 and all of their various problems.

But, we all know that newer is ALWAYS better...
    I fully agree with everything you said. They are squeezing more power out of a smaller engine and they just dont hold up as well, especially if they are pulling heavy loads. That was my first thought when they replaced the 7.3 with the 6.0. Using 4 different engines in just a few years says something too I think. When they had his body off it was to replace something on the back of the engine, I just cant remember what it was. I know they have had other problems too but most of the problems I have seen with them have been related to emissions in 1 way or another. Sure glad I got my old 7.3!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Really I dont think its the engines them selves, its all the emissions stuff they have to put on them now.
    That is right. I bought a late 2004 6.0 new and to be honest it has bee a great truck. No mods done or no tuner. Last year was the first year I had to finally put some money in to the truck. One of the shops here has all the problem fixes down to a science. The truck was eight years old before I had to do the fixes. I figured while they had the cab off I would do the works. I had the new ARP headstuds and new head gaskets installed. EGR delete was done, New oil cooler and the turbo refurbished. Also switched over to the CAT ELC. Had it all done including parts for $3000. I also added a set of insight digital gauges to monitor everything. I figure that repair cost me a whole lot less than a new diesel truck and my 6.0 gets great fuel mileage compare to the newer diesels. Hope to get many more miles out of it now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    That is right. I bought a late 2004 6.0 new and to be honest it has bee a great truck. No mods done or no tuner. Last year was the first year I had to finally put some money in to the truck. One of the shops here has all the problem fixes down to a science. The truck was eight years old before I had to do the fixes. I figured while they had the cab off I would do the works. I had the new ARP headstuds and new head gaskets installed. EGR delete was done, New oil cooler and the turbo refurbished. Also switched over to the CAT ELC. Had it all done including parts for $3000. I also added a set of insight digital gauges to monitor everything. I figure that repair cost me a whole lot less than a new diesel truck and my 6.0 gets great fuel mileage compare to the newer diesels. Hope to get many more miles out of it now.
    I bought the new 6.0 in 03 because it had the new 5 speed auto and a straight axle. The only problems I ever had was from the turbo being a little too aggressive. I blew the inter cooler up for the second time and was stranded 500 miles from home during vacation. I had an airbox on it. I had dual 4" pipes. I removed the cats because I live outside of smog testing. I loved the way it drove and the mileage was great. I was getting over 20 on the highway, and about 12 towing heavy. I also had a good tech guy who let me know when it was time to make a program change. I think the really bad 6.0 engines were because Ford kept guessing at the fixes to try to appease the really upset people. I had a upgrade done twice the whole time I owned it. I am still a ford fan, but I will be buying only an old one if I get another.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I bought the new 6.0 in 03 because it had the new 5 speed auto and a straight axle. The only problems I ever had was from the turbo being a little too aggressive. I blew the inter cooler up for the second time and was stranded 500 miles from home during vacation. I had an airbox on it. I had dual 4" pipes. I removed the cats because I live outside of smog testing. I loved the way it drove and the mileage was great. I was getting over 20 on the highway, and about 12 towing heavy. I also had a good tech guy who let me know when it was time to make a program change. I think the really bad 6.0 engines were because Ford kept guessing at the fixes to try to appease the really upset people. I had a upgrade done twice the whole time I owned it. I am still a ford fan, but I will be buying only an old one if I get another.
    With the bolt ons you never had issues with the head studs? Ive had a couple buddies swap studs just to be safe and a couple more buddies who watched their cab get pulled to fix the warped heads.. All were around the 100k mile mark when the studs finally got tired. One thing I am jealous of is the sound diff. Between my cummins and the 6.0 power stroke. I love the wind and sound of the 6.0.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    With the bolt ons you never had issues with the head studs? Ive had a couple buddies swap studs just to be safe and a couple more buddies who watched their cab get pulled to fix the warped heads.. All were around the 100k mile mark when the studs finally got tired. One thing I am jealous of is the sound diff. Between my cummins and the 6.0 power stroke. I love the wind and sound of the 6.0.
    The 03 was by far the hottest turbo they had, and i think it was the source of some of their problems. with the cats taken off and the open pipe, it sounded like a torpedo chasing you down the highway. I loved that sound. I have to admit it was cool, but there is no way I would want to drive it around in the woods. I do remember the guys swapping out a head gasket when they did some warranty work on one side. I think they said it was just handy to do since they were on that side already doing something else.

It was 101400 miles when the intercooler blew up and that was the second time it had stranded me on a camping trip. I was really tired of it, and figured it was a matter of time before I was really into some money. It had run flawless for 99999 miles. I figured my good fortune had run out. I bought an 08 duramax in Boise on a saturday at 8:00PM with my 30' toy hauler sitting in the parking lot. funny story was the saleman talking about the 500 mile break in on the ceramic bearings on the rearend before you tow with it. I asked if the warranty was void if i didn't wait 500 miles. he said no. I said it sounded like his problem, and took off towing 23K pounds out of the parking lot.

I long for the days when a guy could go put combine parts on a cummins 5.9 and get 23-26 MPG and nobody wanted to stick a sniff sensor up his exhaust pipe. Same goes for the old 7.3. I am so done with the new stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    The 03 was by far the hottest turbo they had, and i think it was the source of some of their problems. with the cats taken off and the open pipe, it sounded like a torpedo chasing you down the highway. I loved that sound. I have to admit it was cool, but there is no way I would want to drive it around in the woods. I do remember the guys swapping out a head gasket when they did some warranty work on one side. I think they said it was just handy to do since they were on that side already doing something else.

It was 101400 miles when the intercooler blew up and that was the second time it had stranded me on a camping trip. I was really tired of it, and figured it was a matter of time before I was really into some money. It had run flawless for 99999 miles. I figured my good fortune had run out. I bought an 08 duramax in Boise on a saturday at 8:00PM with my 30' toy hauler sitting in the parking lot. funny story was the saleman talking about the 500 mile break in on the ceramic bearings on the rearend before you tow with it. I asked if the warranty was void if i didn't wait 500 miles. he said no. I said it sounded like his problem, and took off towing 23K pounds out of the parking lot.

I long for the days when a guy could go put combine parts on a cummins 5.9 and get 23-26 MPG and nobody wanted to stick a sniff sensor up his exhaust pipe. Same goes for the old 7.3. I am so done with the new stuff.
    I wont go newer than 04.5-05 on my dodges. I lust for a mega cab but it will have to wait. I bet that chevy you bought will be a great truck. I feel the only way to break in a diesel is with weight. Alot of weight. My current 05 cummins I purchased from my mother in law. It was my wifes high school rodeo truck. And since day 1 of them buying it new it had a living quarters 4 horse hooked up to it. Never unhooked except for maintenance and lubes. The first 60k miles were on the highway hauling horses. Its pushing 130k and I need a new fan motor for the a/c. One of the lil scenty deals fell in the vent and chewed up the fan. Other than that just keep it topped off with fluids and its a runner!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    I wont go newer than 04.5-05 on my dodges. I lust for a mega cab but it will have to wait. I bet that chevy you bought will be a great truck. I feel the only way to break in a diesel is with weight. Alot of weight. My current 05 cummins I purchased from my mother in law. It was my wifes high school rodeo truck. And since day 1 of them buying it new it had a living quarters 4 horse hooked up to it. Never unhooked except for maintenance and lubes. The first 60k miles were on the highway hauling horses. Its pushing 130k and I need a new fan motor for the a/c. One of the lil scenty deals fell in the vent and chewed up the fan. Other than that just keep it topped off with fluids and its a runner!
    better an air freshener than a old sock.
    I am taking some advise that UH keeps throwing at us younger members. I have unloaded all of my toys and i am also unloading the 08 duramax. It only has 34K on it and is worth a quite a bit of $$. We can work toward being debt free instead of working for the man. I have a chev 1500 4x4 company truck that I can use for whatever I want. If I need to use a big truck, I just need to borrow another company truck for a weekend. Getting too old to be working this hard. It helps that we will be empty nesters in 2014. awsome!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For a while it was cool to buy & sell every cpl years with the $25k tax credit for HOV work vehicles...that needs to go back into effect before my wife needs another vehicle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love Toyotas - IMHO, consistently the most reliable, least repaired vehicles out there. My best buddy drives a Tundra and never puts any repair money into it, just routine maintenance.

Tundras are 75% made of American parts so I don't know how much it matters whether you buy a US or foreign nameplate.