Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ticks

Thanks

ticks

how do you guys keep ticks off you while out in the brush? is there a brand of tick repellent you guys prefer?

Thanks
    Sawyer Permethrin. Ticks hate the stuff. Spray it on all your gear, let it dry, and you're good to go. It's even good for several washes. I didn't get bit or find a single tick on my skin last year, when I had clothing sprayed with permethrin.

I'd opt for the spray bottle vs the aerosol can, it sprays better, and doesn't get on your hands like the aerosol can does.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Permethrin treating clothing is good. The lotion type repellents are good on your skin. The best thing that has helped me is using solid colored pants and softshell gaiters. I just frequently check my pants and they are easy to see on the solid background. I haven't had a single tick get inside my clothes since I started using the gaiters.

Pulled a couple off my pants last night.

Thanks
    Send your wife into the thicker brush first. Also good for 1) flushing birds for you when upland game hunting, and 2) *hopefully* bumping out any grizzlies that may be taking a nap. If she comes out tick-free, all the better. Off to the next brush patch.

In all honesty, I haven't found anything that works yet. My son and I each had ticks on us while shed hunting in Montana earier this year. My truly lovely wife extracted the one latched onto my back where I couldn't reach. I haven't tried them myself yet, but the Gamehide Elimitick products might be worth checking out.

Thanks
    go with a permethrin type of treatment on clothing with a small amount of spraying OFF when you go into the woods. The permethrin will work wonders and the off will keep those that are falling from the trees off your body.

Thanks
    Seems to me like the ticks this year are particularly bad. I pulled 11 off me last week after horn hunting for the day. Nasty little buggers! At least I found more horns than ticks.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    I've typically sprayed down lightly with DEET products, Off and Repel brands on my clothes in the past and it work well for me. Don't get it on plastics though. DEET will melt them. I've been trying some of the healthier products, natural plant products, etc.... They did not seem to work all that well for me. Ticks are nasty critters to deal with once they dig in. I like to keep some bug repellant with me in the car at all times. I think I'll get some of that permethrin and give it a try. I was out backpacking in the Seirras this past week and the bugs were not all that bad up high but they will be out in force soon by the water.

Thanks
    Lucky for me , I have not had any on me this year so far!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Lucky for me , I have not had any on me this year so far!
    California, land of ticks. I had them on me last "Dec." on Palomar Mtn. ...
    It's always nice when you kill a deer in Wy. or Ut. and it doesn't start crawling with ticks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    California, land of ticks. I had them on me last "Dec." on Palomar Mtn. ...
    It's always nice when you kill a deer in Wy. or Ut. and it doesn't start crawling with ticks.
    Yea, no kidding, there's no way I'd ever throw one of these southern California deer over my shoulder.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club