Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Kaibab

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Early Kaibab

Has anyone done the early Kaibab hunt recently? Have not drawn any tags this year and will never have enough points to hunt the late. I think I will burn what I have and hunt this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted it 2 years ago and my dad 2 years before. Tough hunt. Can be a decent hunt if you go guided. Great genetics but a very tough season. Don't expect to see a 160+ deer DIY but there's always a chance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    My wife drew it a couple years ago on two points. The advice I got from some guys who were very knowledgable on the area was not the spend the money or time on the hunt and to walk from the tag, and that is what we did.

On the other hand, you can draw an awesome Coues deer tag with only a few points. May be worth looking at.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted it a couple years ago. Very tough hunt and low success rates, even if guided. Last year while hunting NM my guide stated the success rates for the outfit they run in the same area. Horrible numbers, so I didn't feel so bad.

Big deer there and you have a chance at a monster, but its all high timber and not fun hunting. Best hunting is over bait, which is what most guides do. I didn't know that going into it. Not my thing. People jockey to sit over the best water holes or bait with big deer coming in. Got ridiculous with the guides. One spot had someone on it 24/7, just to keep others off. I hunted mainly over water holes or trails leading to water. I also had 8 trail cameras set up over water i wasn't hunting, which I rotated to new ones every couple days. Had photos of one shooter in 9 days. Saw some deer during the trip, but there are better states to hunt when using your hard earned vacation. Might be a place to hunt when retired and want to spend a month learning it and narrowing it down. But like I said, even guided hunts didn't do so well.

Saw a lot of buffalo. Easy to get and you have the option to buy that tag if drawn for the deer tag. Wish I bought a tag because I easily could have zeroed in on buffalo. Very predictable once you find them. Impressive animals. Just massive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys for the input. My other thought was to to do a Coues hunt. I only have a few more days to figure it out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bughalli View Post
    I hunted it a couple years ago. Very tough hunt and low success rates, even if guided. Last year while hunting NM my guide stated the success rates for the outfit they run in the same area. Horrible numbers, so I didn't feel so bad.

Big deer there and you have a chance at a monster, but its all high timber and not fun hunting. Best hunting is over bait, which is what most guides do. I didn't know that going into it. Not my thing. People jockey to sit over the best water holes or bait with big deer coming in. Got ridiculous with the guides. One spot had someone on it 24/7, just to keep others off. I hunted mainly over water holes or trails leading to water. I also had 8 trail cameras set up over water i wasn't hunting, which I rotated to new ones every couple days. Had photos of one shooter in 9 days. Saw some deer during the trip, but there are better states to hunt when using your hard earned vacation. Might be a place to hunt when retired and want to spend a month learning it and narrowing it down. But like I said, even guided hunts didn't do so well.

Saw a lot of buffalo. Easy to get and you have the option to buy that tag if drawn for the deer tag. Wish I bought a tag because I easily could have zeroed in on buffalo. Very predictable once you find them. Impressive animals. Just massive.
    You can buy a tag for buffalo if you draw a deer tag? Wild free range buffalo? Wow I thought you had to be drawn to hunt or apply for the population management hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Apparently buffalo tags are available for anyone who draws a 12A tag. Couldn't find it in the regs but was noted in the Huntin Fool.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I will be using my points on coues hunts. The strip is virtually impossible in my lifetime.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    I will be using my points on coues hunts. The strip is virtually impossible in my lifetime.
    Unless they change things you are correct. It will pretty much be up to those with max and one less than max in our lifetimes.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have enough points to draw a good late season Coues tag but have never hunted Coues before. Just wondered if a newbie would have a decent shot of taking a good buck DIY? When does the rut really kick in. If I decide to hunt this year I would hunt the opener 12/13-12/18 in unit 23. Any thoughts?