Page 19 of 402 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 4016
  1. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OREGON
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 291 Times in 238 Posts
    Congratulations
    53
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Then us poor field guys walk onto a job thats already out of hours.
    I've been there, it's not fun. Around here if you cover your costs your way out of the ball park. Before we pulled out of the excavation market that's where jobs were landing. Guys were bidding at 30% below our hard cost, we couldn't buy a job. It's still happening from what I hear, its unbelievable that those guys are still in business.

  2. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Alta Loma CA
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Congratulations
    114
    Congratulated 52 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I have a 1.2M bid due today, and i can't get away from this damn forum. How did this thread even start??

    My personal favorites:
    "Authority is taken, not given"
    "Why do today what you can make someone else do tomorrow"
    How i bid a job
    #1 pick up the plans close your eyes and weigh them come up with a number $----
    #2 open the plans to see where the job is at if close to home if so deduct by 3% $----
    #3 pain in the ass factor add 15% if the job is a pain in the ass deduct 2% if not $---
    #4 will the job mess with my hunting plans if so add 20% $---- (or just trash the job)
    #5 pick out one item from your want list and add it to the bid ( new bow) $---
    #6 add for profit ok forget about that----------------
    grand total $-------
    cut in half $--------
    total $--------

    or just use the W A G method aka wild ass guess
    Last edited by dustin ray; 06-05-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

  3. #183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    last guy to touch the job gets the blame. if it goes good, it must have been a great bid.
    Too true. And thats usually me! Im a workaholic overtime whore. And these estimators got no love for me these days. Cant a fella get an 86 hour week like in the good days. Those were good checks." I don't get paid at home fellas" is what I usually tell em.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  4. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OREGON
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 291 Times in 238 Posts
    Congratulations
    53
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    That trip is coming up soon. As soon as the gates are open at Steens, I need to go and try to find my spotting scope. It's not a high dollar unit, but it is the only one i have. It was priceless as my brother and I were packing up to hike out at night and realized that I had set my scope and tripod on a rock when we were taking a rest. Shame on me for not putting it in my bag.

    Any serious job related trip may need a photographer and a navigator as well. "Who are all these people on your expense report? do they work for us?"
    I left a pair of Leupold Bino's where I killed my ram in '11. The wife and I went back to look for them last year, we couldn't find them. I know no one else found them, not sure what happened to them. I'm glad they weren't very expensive.

  5. #185
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    1,746
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 233 Times in 176 Posts
    Congratulations
    45
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin ray View Post
    How i bid a job
    #1 pick up the plans close your eyes and weigh them come up with a number $----
    #2 open the plans to see where the job is at if close to home if so deduct by 3% $----
    #3 pain in the ass factor add 15% if the job is a pain in the ass deduct 2% if not $---
    #4 will the job mess with my hunting plans if so add 20% $----
    #5 pick out one item from your want list and add it to the bid ( new bow) $---
    #6 add for profit ok forget about that----------------
    grand total $-------
    cut in half $--------
    total $--------

    or just use the W A G method aka wild ass guess
    ...and if it involves family or friends then double it.

  6. #186
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    I've been there, it's not fun. Around here if you cover your costs your way out of the ball park. Before we pulled out of the excavation market that's where jobs were landing. Guys were bidding at 30% below our hard cost, we couldn't buy a job. It's still happening from what I hear, its unbelievable that those guys are still in business.
    Vegas is probably the worst. We cant compete with non union. Weve had a couple small ones that were t&m and people didnt mind working for me. But other than that its blow and go with no happy endings.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  7. #187
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Good lord ikic. You got on that bino post like flys on shit!! I was hoping jndeer would get a bite before you found it . Whats it gonna take to get a classified around here? Need a hand with a legal script to cover eastmans from liability on a bad transaction? Or are they against the chance that members may not have the current unity that exists now? Or is it a sponsor issue?
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  8. #188
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,222
    Thanks
    1,281
    Thanked 667 Times in 572 Posts
    Congratulations
    199
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    So what do you do with them, anyways?

    I don't have livestock, we don't have wolves, I don't live in a area where the coyote populations are big enough to be a nuisance and I'm not going to eat one, so I've had no reason to hunt them.

    I understand the need to deal with nuisance and threat animals and the need to control the populations.

    What makes me curious is when I see a comment like yours or the other day when I saw a truck from Idaho with a "Smoke a pack a day" sticker. Makes it seem like coyotes and wolves in general are just pests that need to be eradicated.

    It's just me mulling it over for my personal satisfaction, so I'm not looking to get in on the deabte about whether to hunt them or not, just curious to hear a view from that side.
    Everyone I kill is 1 less that can kill my girlfriends sheep or my calves. We have lost a few to coyotes. This is mostly farm country here so they dont cause most people around here a problem but still the populations need to be controlled. They kill lots of fawnes too. I agree that its good to have a few to keep the mice and gophers under control but if there are tomany they cause problems and kill things I dont want killed so I shoot everyone I can!

  9. #189
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    vegas
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 160 Times in 106 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    So what do you do with them, anyways?

    I don't have livestock, we don't have wolves, I don't live in a area where the coyote populations are big enough to be a nuisance and I'm not going to eat one, so I've had no reason to hunt them.

    I understand the need to deal with nuisance and threat animals and the need to control the populations.

    What makes me curious is when I see a comment like yours or the other day when I saw a truck from Idaho with a "Smoke a pack a day" sticker. Makes it seem like coyotes and wolves in general are just pests that need to be eradicated.

    It's just me mulling it over for my personal satisfaction, so I'm not looking to get in on the deabte about whether to hunt them or not, just curious to hear a view from that side.
    Typically when you find a dead one missing an ear its because the state has issued a bounty. Shoot a yote and send in the ear. Anywhere from 25-50 bucks to control the population.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

  10. #190
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OREGON
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 291 Times in 238 Posts
    Congratulations
    53
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I wish Oregon had a bounty on them damn coyotes, I think the kill alot more deer than people realize. I shoot them when ever I see them. I miss alot more than I hit, them little bastards are hard to hit when they are on a dead run! I've ony killed a couple on the run. I missed one the other day right by the house, its been pestering the neigbor goats lately. I haven't seen it since I shot at , maybe I gut shot it??

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. It's official!
    By ChadH in forum General Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM
  2. Another Bag thread (Big Agnes)
    By Muleys 24/7 in forum Everything Backcountry
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
  3. Got Coues Official Score In!!!!
    By Shaun in forum Blacktail, Coues' and Whitetail
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
  5. Thread Deleted? Really?
    By Elkoholic307 in forum Antelope
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •