Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 9 Posts

Getting Old.....

I realize most of you are not in this situation....yet, but over the winter I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. I am 73 now and have been hunting since I was 7. Over the years, I have learned a lot and can put a lot of this knowledge into practice. I have mentored several young people (including my son who is going to be 50 this year) and passed on lots of this to them. This is exactly what my Dad and grandfather did for me.

This winter I had a total ankle replacement (to go along with a knee replacement on the same leg) and thought a lot about my body wearing out. I walk slower, have more joint pain and take more medications. My desire has not gone away, but after hard workouts at the gym, I sometimes ask myself..."what the hell are you thinking"! I am not looking for sympathy, just telling all you young studs to savor your youth while you have it, take nothing for granted and look around you while you are out there. It is Gods gift to us and we to appreciate it while we can enjoy it. Memories are great, we all have them, but making them is way better.

Just sayin...........................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following User Says Congratulations to Colorado Cowboy For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks CC. I sometimes need a kick in the butt to start making some more memories. My grandpa is 78, almost 79 and still can out hike me like the ages were switched. Its crazy. After he got his eyeballs fixed up, things really turned around for him and he can do pert ner everything he used to do, he just needs a power nap in the pm lol. I have some good memories with my mentor I guess. Winter is long sometimes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 83 Times in 12 Posts
    Your the stud CC, keep it up my friend. I hope to be in as good of shape as you in 28 years, there are times I feel 73 and I'm only 44.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm in good shape but put on some pounds last year and at age 60 it comes off really slowly. It's the only thing holding me back from being in really good shape.

I really want to hunt sheep and don't know how much longer that is realistic. But, I am determined to go from good shape into great shape to give it a shot, even if it only comes off less than a pound a week despite several days a week of tough workouts.

Still, I wouldn't trade the wisdom learned in 60 years for my old photographic memory and lean body.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks CC! Yea I've decided I'm going to just go for it and do as many hunts as I can. My one buddy says "holy crap all those tags are expensive." Which he's right, they are. I don't regret any money I've spent in the past hunting though and doubt I will in the future either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NDHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 4 Posts
    You're the MAN CC. I hope I can do as well when I get there. Hoshour, I've got a suggestion for you. It sounds like you can do the workouts okay, but as far as weight management, I have found that the magic bullet for me is the "protein diet". The experts do nay-say this diet and it is not something that you do for a lifetime, but it clearly does work. I find when I get 5# or so over my comfort range, I do the protein thing (don't cheat), and BOOM, the weight is gone. I do lard up some in the winter, but by summer am back to my Marine Corps weight of 40 years ago.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RICMIC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 7 Posts
    I hear you CC. I'm almost 53 and my brother who I hunt with a lot is 57. We still hunt the stuff that most hunters will not. Lucky for us my son who is 28 also hunts with us and he is one heck of a pack mule. Although he is still skeptical when we tell him how we used to pack those bucks out whole on our backs.
    Every year we ask ourselves how many of these rough hunts we have left in us. I hope to still be hunting like you for another 25 years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gr8bawana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In a few months I'll be 67, and yes time hasn't slowed down for me on the aging process. Some of my previous hunting buddies who no longer hunt ask when I'm going to slow down? The answer, when they pile dirt over me! Been very blessed over the last 35 years to hunt and fish from Alaska to Mexico and have never regretted the expenses or the disappointments. I was once asked, doesn't your wife complain about all the money you've spent? My reply, I have life insurance for her, the cash is not being left for the next guy!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sundowners@5? For This Useful Post:

Michigan's Upper Penninsula. South central in Delta Count bordering Menominee County.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    It could not be better said CC. Being 62 myself (young 62) I'm realizing that I just can't do the hunts I once did. I'm blessed to have taken 4 North American rams and my share of high country mule deer. My advice to those who are young is the same you hear from many. Do those dream hunts when you're young and physically in your prime if you can. You'll enjoy your hunts much more and have that many more years of good memories as life runs it course. My personal plans are to continue hunting 'til I'm called from this life as the passion remains strong. I'll just gear the type of hunt to what I'm able to do enjoyably.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stevevan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    At 55 I look back on all my hunts with big grins and hopes that I will be able to finish the large number of hunts I still have on my list. Being able to work out at the gym at 73 like you CC , I will take that at 73. Thanks for all your advice, encouragement and your mentoring !

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CrossCreeks For This Useful Post: