Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Carl, just make sure you buy preference points for deer, elk, and antelope (and maybe bear) this summer/fall. For the best hunts you are going to need to bank 15 points or so, so don't lose a year.
    Does it count for points if I put in first choice for deer and elk? I just didn't plan on drawing because I put in for the impossible thinking I would just build points. Or do I have it wrong? The Oregon law book is like Nothing I have ever seen before. I think I may be getting gray hair just trying to figure it out. HaHa! Thanks, Carl
    Carl

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineboy View Post
    Does it count for points if I put in first choice for deer and elk? I just didn't plan on drawing because I put in for the impossible thinking I would just build points. Or do I have it wrong? The Oregon law book is like Nothing I have ever seen before. I think I may be getting gray hair just trying to figure it out. HaHa! Thanks, Carl
    Yes it counts for points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Carl, that is the best way to do it and still have a crack at an awesome tag.

On your second choice, you can apply for a hunt you will draw and not lose your points if you draw your second choice. For that to work, you have to find hunts that have less first choice applicants than tags available. You can easily see that if you look at the hunt choice in the reg book where it shows number of tags, and number of applicants last year.

Then...even if you do draw your second choice, you still don't have to buy that tag, you can still buy a tag for the general hunts.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    My main hunt this year is the East Northside elk hair tag. I'm going with my Dad and best friend. We are going to give it the full 9 days. I put in for the Metolius archery deer tag and the high cascade hunt as my 2nd choice. I put in for a lot of other raffles and once in a life tags as well. Next year we are going to Wyoming for antelope. My Dad and I have a ten year plan for hunting. We are trying to have a decent hunt every year for the next ten years. Dads getting close to sixty, but he is still in good shape. Just trying to get as much quality time as posible. Then when Dad starts slowing down my kids will be old enough and they will pick up were he left off.

I also plan on getting a sheep tag as well!!!!
    Good luck on the draw! You and I have alot in common when it come to applying for the deer season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I'm officially an Oregon resident just in time for the applications so it will be my first go at it. Planning on hunting elk and deer on over the counter archery and maybe breaking in with a bear for my first Oregon kill. As of now, I will be doing this solo. I am overwhelmed with all the scouting that I'm trying to do since I moved here with no knowledge of Oregon. I just did my first 8k trail run in corvallis today. Oregon ben good to me so far, even caught some wild steelhead.
    Carl, if you have trouble getting into elk shoot me a p.m. I would be happy to help you find em. There are a few between where you and I live, I just may know where....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Timber I tried to send you a PM. But your mailbox is full.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Timber I tried to send you a PM. But your mailbox is full.
    I cleaned it up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will and have been hunting Oregon this year.

One tag filled so far...

Just got home from NEO where I was scouting for my Mt Goat since I have a good feeling about that draw. Well, actually my wife was in an art show and I was along for the ride and looking at Mt Goats but should I draw it will be high on my list.

Archery elk for sure!

Deer I cant decide yet between archery or blacktail rifle season.

Fall bear will get a solid effort.

Extra deer tag for sure!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love that pic Joe. I didn't put in for gaot this year. Good luck on the draw!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We put in for Silvies elk and Malheur river deer with 0 points. We could possibly get elk tags for 3 years running because my niece has a couple banked points to bring our average up and I have good Karma. I am hunting Idaho elk and Deer in November. I suckered my brother into going with me on another "do yourself in" hunt as Bitterroot calls it. If I don't draw OR controlled elk, I will likely do a OTC first season tag to get some tent time before we go to ID. I may have to actually hunt the blacktails around my house, but I refuse to hunt when it is raining or windy. What a go getter I am!!

I will be hunting some nice trout(and letting them go of course) in a number of places to help my brain find it's happy place.