Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Weighed everything and looks like 65lbs for my seven day pack. That includes my bow 2qts of water to start and a 15lb food pack. I don't think I can get it down anymore for seven days. I will look at my list to see what I can do without. Its tough getting it less than that. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    If you have interest I can email you my spreadsheet. I have a breakdown that has calorie count, weight, sodium, carb, and protein count as I felt those were the most important categories. I make myself eat 5 times a day and at certain times, it may just be a cliff bar at 10:30 but I watch the clock and stick to it. Never know when it will turn to go time and I don't want to run out of juice.
    That would help a lot here. I'm introducing three teenagers to the glory of bowhunting elk in the back country this September and need all the help I can find.
    Email: trkytrack@gmail.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm also diabetic (type 1...insulin dependent). This will be my first year to really get away from my "safe zone"; my truck base camp. What do you, as a diabetic, pack for food and snacks? I have to keep my blood sugar levels pretty consistent. If not, it really throws me for a loop. Finding packable foods, low in sugar, is really difficult. I've gone the sugar free oatmeal for breakfasts; tuna and crackers for the lunch/dinner route but most of the snack/energy bars are all high in sugar content. Has anyone else with the diabetes curse found any answers?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Weighed everything and looks like 65lbs for my seven day pack. That includes my bow 2qts of water to start and a 15lb food pack. I don't think I can get it down anymore for seven days. I will look at my list to see what I can do without. Its tough getting it less than that. Mark
    This may seem obvious, but don't give up a backup light source. I was trying to skimp last year and left my old heavy headlamp behind. I think the new lights with LED are pretty reliable. I was about 3 miles from camp. I was wet and cold and it was down around 15deg. It took me 15 minutes to delicately change the batteries in my headlamp in the dark without losing something. I will be taking one of those mini keychain lights to use as a backup, or getting another peitz(spelling) that I can also wear on my wrist.

Please don't everybody point out the obvious that I should have freshened up my light "before" it got dark. I won't make that mistake again.

Sorry for stepping a little off food topic, but that is one of the only times I was worried about not getting out, so I thought I would throw that out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    This may seem obvious, but don't give up a backup light source. I was trying to skimp last year and left my old heavy headlamp behind. I think the new lights with LED are pretty reliable. I was about 3 miles from camp. I was wet and cold and it was down around 15deg. It took me 15 minutes to delicately change the batteries in my headlamp in the dark without losing something. I will be taking one of those mini keychain lights to use as a backup, or getting another peitz(spelling) that I can also wear on my wrist.

Please don't everybody point out the obvious that I should have freshened up my light "before" it got dark. I won't make that mistake again.

Sorry for stepping a little off food topic, but that is one of the only times I was worried about not getting out, so I thought I would throw that out.
    I sure don't skimp on the light, I understand what you are saying. I carry a Streamlight 14512 @5.6 oz and a mini Maglite as well. I also carry enough Batteries as well. The 65lb pack is the in and out Pack and once I am in and have camp set I will loose at least 50% of that weight and go to day pack mode until I decide to change my camp location.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am glad you mentioned this. Though I am not a Diabetic my long time hunting partner was. He had diabetes since he was 11. The sad part was he couldn't get any of his "Friends" to go with him on multi-day trips. I had no problems going with him. It was pretty simple. He kept his Kit and insulin in a pocket in his vest so the insulin wouldn't freeze. He also kept a backup kit and insulin in the truck. When we first hunting together over 20 years ago he showed me what to do in case his sugar level crashed. He also kept instructions in his kit for me. In his kit he kept his emergency Glucose Gel squeeze packets as well as his other essentials for diabetes. Luckily in those twenty years he never crashed and was extremely good about knowing when he needed to eat to get his sugar level back to where it needed to be. I was always prepared to do what it took to get him back on line if something happened.He always carried Snickers Bars and a box or two of those small juices. He was a firm believer that he needed to know what his body needed at all times.
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    I'm also diabetic (type 1...insulin dependent). This will be my first year to really get away from my "safe zone"; my truck base camp. What do you, as a diabetic, pack for food and snacks? I have to keep my blood sugar levels pretty consistent. If not, it really throws me for a loop. Finding packable foods, low in sugar, is really difficult. I've gone the sugar free oatmeal for breakfasts; tuna and crackers for the lunch/dinner route but most of the snack/energy bars are all high in sugar content. Has anyone else with the diabetes curse found any answers?
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-04-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Maybe too late to post this but On the WA issue , on my #2 page post, I have used most of their products, and I'm not pushing them either, the shake stuff I would not use in the field, but their energy and recovery drinks r great ,taste is not bad , I like their bars, I use their product every elk tag I draw , and they will b in my backpack this fall

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out Hammer Nutrition @ hammernutrition.com. By far the best endurance fuels out there and produced locally in Montana. I pack their HEED, Hammer Gels (like tasty rocket fuel), pbj & pbh sandwiches, oatmeal with protein powder, nuts & dried fruits & peanut butter energy balls (if the wife makes em). Seems to be a pretty good combo for me. Daily count of 3,000 give or take.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So, a related issue - I'm at about 2.1 pounds per day for 3600 calories, but I'm wondering what you guys are spending.

Mine's coming out to about $30 a day. I'm doing all prepackaged, so I understand it's going to cost more, but I'm just wondering if I'm way out in left field.

Just curious about what you guys are spending.

I may make up some stuff at home, but I generally prefer sticking with stuff that is prepackaged, as it's easier to deal with and I don't have to worry about shelf-life issues.

I included my daily food list below in case anybody's interested.

My menu is pretty much the same for every day, I have (or will have) tried everything in my list at least once and like it, so I know I can eat it. More variety would be great, but I consider it a nice-to-have, not a priority.

My priorities, not necessarily in this order, for my food are 1) getting the number of calories I will need, 2) as much ready-to-eat as possible, 3) everything except dinner needs no more preparation than adding water and 4) everything sealed and shelf-stable

Here's my list for food (daily)

BREAKFAST

PACKIT GOURMET FRUIT SMOOTHIE
    BRIDGFORD SANDWICH
    INSTANT 3-IN-1 COFFEE
    INSTANT PLAIN COFFEE

SNACK HONEY STINGER
    GATORADE/WILDERNESS ATHLETE POWDER

EARLY
    LUNCH PROBAR
    BRIDGFORD SANDWICH
    INSTANT 3-IN-1 COFFEE or GATORADE/WILDERNESS ATHLETE POWDER

SNACK HONEY STINGER

LATE
    LUNCH PROBAR
    BRIDGFORD SANDWICH
    INSTANT 3-IN-1 COFFEE or GATORADE/WILDERNESS ATHLETE POWDER

SNACK HONEY STINGER

DINNER PACKIT GOURMET CHILI - My daily hot meal
    INSTANT SPICED CIDER
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I found a link to this article on the Backpacking Light forum, it has some good information on planning for food requirements.

http://backpackinglight.typepad.com/...d_and_coo.html
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site