Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Arrow Daily Calorie count for packing in

Hey guys I have been going through my gear regrouping and one thing stands out to me. For the past few trips I have made packing in I have struggled with daily calorie count yet packing light. I normally pack in for five - seven days at a time. I am not quite as high tech as some here but would like to be more efficient when packing in food. What are you guys packing in for meals to get that calorie count. Also how are you efficiently packing that food in your pack. I feel like I need 2400-2500 calories a day to keep up my energy level as I am constantly on the move. I will be honest I have never pack in any freeze dried meals and feel this my be a good way to lighten up the pack significantly. I have packed in some MRE meals but find they are just as bulky but at least they have that calorie count needed. Any tips would be appreciated. Mark

Thanks
    I pack freeze-dried meals, high calorie low sugar bars, jerky, trail mix with lots of nuts, and lots of caffeine to kick start a second wind if I need it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Bailey For This Useful Post:

bluedunn0 (06-04-2013)

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure I burn > 4,000 calories a day hiking 6 or more hours with a pack on my back. I don't eat that many because I tend to lose my appetite when working that hard, but I eat as much as I can possibly get down. Lots of water too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post
    I'm pretty sure I burn > 4,000 calories a day hiking 6 or more hours with a pack on my back. I don't eat that many because I tend to lose my appetite when working that hard, but I eat as much as I can possibly get down. Lots of water too.
    I'm like you, I lose my appetite when I'm working like that and it bit me last year. I didn't eat nearly enough and after three days I was wiped out.

To 25Contender, in regards to MREs, another good thing about them is that they can be eaten straight out of the package with no prep and you don't need to carry extra water to reconstitute them.

I took a bunch of MREs last year and they were nice, but as you mentioned, they're bulky, heavy and expensive.

I'm planning a mix this year - Bridgford MRE sandwiches (you can buy them from the company that makes them), instant ramien with tuna fish (my one planned hot meal per day), Carnation Instant Breakfast + instant milk + instant coffee, Cliff Mojo Bars and Honey Stingers (Kudos to arrowslinger and dhershberger for turning me on to those).

That puts me at 2850ish calories per day and there is only one meal I have to boil water for, everything else can be eaten with cold water or straight out of the pack.

The sandwiches, mojo bars and honey stinger waffles are small and come in single packages, so it's easier to grab one and munch on it while I'm taking a break or even walking.

I found last fall that I was in a hurry in the morning and I just wasn't stopping much and I didn't want to have to take the time to pull everything out, set up my stove, etc, during the day.

So, this year I'm planning one hot meal per day for dinner, when I'm bedding down for the night.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

dhershberger (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    I pack mountain house freeze dried and mix single serve instant mashed potatoes into them for dinner. Pop tarts, cliff bars, tuna, crackers, granola bars, trail mix, ect during the day. I always take a water filter and normally can find water close enough to camp that water for the freeze dried stuff is not an issue. David Longs book gives alot of good info on this too.

Thanks
    Yes I am good on the water I carry a filter as well. Water is fairly close by. I think I need to make up a list of some of the suggestions and from some of the other threads here and see what will work the best. I have never tried the Cliff bars or the Mountain House dinners. I have been a big Tuna Pack and Kipper Snack fan in the past but it gets old after a few days. Lots of homemade trail mix, some olive oil and honey stinger waffles. Does anyone vacuum seal any of their individual daily meal packs? I was thinking about doing that this year.

Thanks
    If you have interest I can email you my spreadsheet. I have a breakdown that has calorie count, weight, sodium, carb, and protein count as I felt those were the most important categories. I make myself eat 5 times a day and at certain times, it may just be a cliff bar at 10:30 but I watch the clock and stick to it. Never know when it will turn to go time and I don't want to run out of juice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montana For This Useful Post:

mcseal2 (08-11-2013), trkytrack2 (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    If you have interest I can email you my spreadsheet. I have a breakdown that has calorie count, weight, sodium, carb, and protein count as I felt those were the most important categories. I make myself eat 5 times a day and at certain times, it may just be a cliff bar at 10:30 but I watch the clock and stick to it. Never know when it will turn to go time and I don't want to run out of juice.
    That would be great . It would be nice to see your breakdown. I like the point about not running out of juice. I have been there and done that!! Thanks Mark e-mail archerm@aol.com

Thanks
    Mark, take a look at the energy replacement drinks that are sold at cycling and running shops. Mixing them in your water will not only supplement your calorie burn, but help to maintain your electrolyte balance and allow your body to recover quicker from heavy exercise. I'm taking in freeze-dried stuff for morning and evening, and adding cheese, Costco crumbled bacon, nuts and fruit for modified trail mix, and I'm snacking frequently during the day. Since I'm an "old guy", I also take in plenty of Tylenol and some cognac in a small Platypus bladder. It's nice to have a little thimble-full of something while I'm hovering over my spotting scope in the evenings!

Thanks
    I pick up a big bag of dried fruit. The bananas, apples, and cranberries add a great tasting treat a couple times a day and are light. I haven't explored the nutritional value of these too much. I consider these to be my mid day treats. the cliff bars are a standard for me also.

lipton noodle soup packs light and is one of my favs. it cooks quick and you can throw it in the water prior to boiling. nice to help warm up before bed at night. I would agree with some others that early morning cooking is not for me.

I could shave a few pounds and a pile of mountain house meals if I went with cold only, but I can't quite decide if i want to do that. We are looking at staying on top for 9 to 10 days, and i may need to ditch the hot food to save weight and space.