Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
That is a good point Multi-SpeciesHunter. I am 5'11" and around 180lbs. Not sure how to determine calorie needs, but for me its not based on how hungry I am. I have a worksheet that will calculate the calories per day that I am carrying, but many times I think I am probably doing only 1300 to 1400 calories per day on a 7 day 70 mile section of the CDT. Never hungry, eat all I can, and weight is down to around 165lbs by the time I get off the trail. One of the other hikers, who is bigger than me, carries about twice what I carry, eats almost all of it, and doesn't lose nearly as much weight as I do. I've tried but I couldn't begin to eat that much. He also lives in Colorado Springs while I'm in Missouri. To many variables to say definitely cause and affect, but when I found doing research that it takes two weeks for your body to adjust to what your doing to it, it got my attention.
The Live Strong website tells you figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate, which is the number of calories your body requires just to stay alive. They then have other charts that help you get an idea of how many additional calories your body will burn based on the type and level of activity that you're doing.

I do know that military mountain and artic warfare rations are designed to supply 3000 - 4000 calories per day.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/25...y-expenditure/