Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylight View Post
    The biggest factor here will simply be the glucosamine for joint and muscle recovery. The sweeteners they use are all natural and taste good, without the dye that Gatorade uses. WA also replaces the salts and electrolytes I need with the glucosamine which is what makes it a great chioce. Gatorade alone, will not meet all of your bodies needs.

I have no use for their protein pak's - They are not what I want to choke down on a backpack hunt. Kippered herring snacks in the pulltab can are good energy foods, however that is separate from what the WA drink mix does.

A lot of people like the other powdered/drop drink mixes like Mio and crystal light, however those do nothing more than add flavor. You need to replace nutrients, not watch calories when it comes to hydration.

After the third to fourth day, the sleep will get MUCH better. It takes time for your red blood cell count to raise enough to handle the decreased oxygen absorption rates. After a week, you should be completely out of the woods and feeling pretty good, however, that just so happens to coincide at a time when your body is about done from the vertical hikes every day covering ground.... THAT is where the WA drink mix will save your butt.
    That's good to hear. I also got a better pad, which will help with the back pain. I can actually sleep on my side on it (Synmat 9), plus it's got the insulation, which should also help.

I'm guessing that, in the end, getting gatorade and glucosamine pills would probably end up costing the same as the WA powder would.

How does that stuff taste and do you know if any stores sell individual packs?

And have you tried their meal replacement shakes? I'm think something like that might be good mixed in with the Carnation instant breakfast.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The ruck idea sounds good. Have to check out the OpSacks. Keep in mind you will still have the snacks out during the day and that smell or the smell of dinner will be on you. Even the smell of deodorant will attract them. Also, cooking/eating meals a safe distance from the tent is a good idea. Review the rules for backpacking/camping in Yellowstone or Glacier. They may seem a little fanatical, but gives you some ideas to think about. If there has ever been food in a container they want you to put it inside your vehicle, which won't stop a bear if he wants it. Taking all the precautions is good, but have a plan should one decide to check you out anyway.
    Last edited by Elk Hunter; 06-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    The ruck idea sounds good. Have to check out the OpSacks. Keep in mind you will still have the snacks out during the day and that smell or the smell of dinner will be on you. Even the smell of deodorant will attract them. Also, cooking/eating meals a safe distance from the tent is a good idea. Review the rules for backpacking/camping in Yellowstone or Glacier. They may seem a little fanatical, but gives you some ideas to think about. If there has ever been food in a container they want you to put it inside your vehicle, which won't stop a bear if he wants it. Taking all the precautions is good, but have a plan should one decide to check you out anyway.
    here's the link to the company that makes the sacks: http://www.loksak.com/products/aloksak

Understand about the smell on me. I'd say that I'd wash regularly, but from what I've read, anything that doesn't smell normal will get their attention and draw them in, so hand sanitizer or soap could be just as likely to draw them in.

That's why I also have a .45 with me and bear spray.

I've considering various methods of setting up an alarm or deterrent system, fishing line and bells or something. Preferably something that will alert me to their presence and even better if it scares them off in the process.

Something like this: http://www.electronicsurplus.com/item/6276/

Here's a video of a similar one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFz3yL7cTvk

Run 4 or 5 of those with trip wires and you should be able to provide 360 degree coverage around your tent. I think the noise and light would be enough to scare most bears (or anything else) away.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the bear bag and hunting areas with bear for the past 26 years ( Dang that seems like a long time!!) I haven't had any issues with bears in camp. I am more worried about Moose coming through the camp than a bear. I have had a few close calls at night with moose during the night in camp and they are not afraid of anything especially at night. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Never tried one but I have been told that protable electric fences work great. Not familiar with this one but shows what I am talking about.

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Never tried one but I have been told that protable electric fences work great. Not familiar with this one but shows what I am talking about.

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
    I would probably forget about the fence about 3am and well you get the picture!! It wouldnt be pretty!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IF you are above timber, you will VERY rarely have any issues with bears. i,e, high country muley hunts in September...

To answer the question in regards to the WA shakes - I have not utilized them, so I have little input. As far as the WA Hydrate and Recover, it comes in a flavor called Berry Blast... It's not bad - Granted, it is not as sweet as Gatorade but it goes down fine. Considering the benefits, I love it.

Once upon a time, WA gave us a ton of their product that I would have otherwise never purchased or utilized. After using the Hydrate and recover powder, I am sold and will continue to buy it into the future. Just as a FYI - I am not trying to sell this product or help push the stuff. Simply put, it works well for me and my friends who use it.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I would probably forget about the fence about 3am and well you get the picture!! It wouldnt be pretty!
    Yeah, but you would probably only do it once.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I use the bear bag and hunting areas with bear for the past 26 years ( Dang that seems like a long time!!) I haven't had any issues with bears in camp. I am more worried about Moose coming through the camp than a bear. I have had a few close calls at night with moose during the night in camp and they are not afraid of anything especially at night. Mark
    Do you take bear spray with you?

When considering this, on the one hand, I like to ere on the side of safety, on the other hand, I figure that people have been hunting, ranching, herding and camping up in the mountains for decades and, while there have been occasional problems, it obviously hasn't been enough to stop people from doing it.

Being a firm believer in Murphy and his antics, I just worry that now, if I decide not to get anything, he'll make me number 1,000,000.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes sir I keep a can close by. Like they say better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Do you take bear spray with you?

When considering this, on the one hand, I like to ere on the side of safety, on the other hand, I figure that people have been hunting, ranching, herding and camping up in the mountains for decades and, while there have been occasional problems, it obviously hasn't been enough to stop people from doing it.

Being a firm believer in Murphy and his antics, I just worry that now, if I decide not to get anything, he'll make me number 1,000,000.