Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylight View Post
    IF you are above timber, you will VERY rarely have any issues with bears. i,e, high country muley hunts in September...

To answer the question in regards to the WA shakes - I have not utilized them, so I have little input. As far as the WA Hydrate and Recover, it comes in a flavor called Berry Blast... It's not bad - Granted, it is not as sweet as Gatorade but it goes down fine. Considering the benefits, I love it.

Once upon a time, WA gave us a ton of their product that I would have otherwise never purchased or utilized. After using the Hydrate and recover powder, I am sold and will continue to buy it into the future. Just as a FYI - I am not trying to sell this product or help push the stuff. Simply put, it works well for me and my friends who use it.
    My base camp will be relatively low (8000ish feet) and I'll be hoofing it into where I hunt, so I'll be in the timber to start out. I need to scout one area I want to hunt this fall, it gets pretty high, but I think most of it will be in timber, with just a few high spots.

Thanks for the info on the Wilderness Athlete, I'll try some.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    That would be great . It would be nice to see your breakdown. I like the point about not running out of juice. I have been there and done that!! Thanks Mark e-mail archerm@aol.com
    Sorry for the delay... Just emailed. It's titled "Goal to 40" if it gets spammed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I received it Scott. Thanks again. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So I just went through all the posts and have gathered a few thoughts on the subject off calorie count for packing in.

1. I feel bad for the guys that lose their appetite while out.
    2. I love GU products. I use Gels, Chomps, and Roctane powder to add to water. I think these guys are the best in the business. I'm a diabetic and I have always needed to take lots of sugar for quick help when my blood drops. GU has saved me because I would get sick from all the sugar stuff I would have to eat, now I just take a gel and I feel it kick in instantly. They have different mixtures of sugars that act at different times so the digestion isn't taking place all at the same time, but I still get instant energy.
    3. I eat Tigers Milk protein bars. Don't think these guys are the best in the business but I like eating the bars.
    4. I have been using MRE's because I like the main dish but I'm lucky if I eat 1/2 of the other stuff in the package so I've decided to not take them any more. Can you buy just the main dish? I'm using a stove and mountain housing it. Previously I have taken sticks of pepperoni but have stopped taking any smelly meat product. I figure if they could smell me before the snack, after the snack I have not helped my cause.
    5. I love meat sandwiches but sandwiches don't travel well for me without packing containers that take up space. Any ideas?
    6. I hate bears. I call the ranger station each year before I go out and ask if there have been any bear reports. No reports since 20 years ago but I still call. Carrying a .357 or .40 is very heavy but have to do it.
    7. I thought I packed a lot of stuff in the back country in my 100 L pack, but it doesn't sound like I compare to what some of you guys are taking.
    Last edited by clacklin009; 06-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    So I just went through all the posts and have gathered a few thoughts on the subject off calorie count for packing in.

1. I feel bad for the guys that lose their appetite while out.
    2. I love GU products. I use Gels, Chomps, and Roctane powder to add to water. I think these guys are the best in the business. I'm a diabetic and I have always needs to take lots of sugar for quick help when my blood drops. GU has saved me I would get sick from all the stuff I would have to eat, now I just take a gel and I feel it kick in instantly. They have different mixtures of sugars take act differently.
    3. I eat Tigers Milk protein bars. Don't think these guys are the best in the business but I like eating the bars.
    4. I have been using MRE's because I like the main dish but I'm lucky if I eat 1/2 of the other stuff in the package so I've decided to not take them any more. Can you buy just the main dish? I'm using a stove and mountain housing it. Use to take sticks of pepperoni but have stopped taking any smelly meat product. I figure if they could smell me before the snack, after the snack I have not helped my cause.
    5. I love meat sandwiches but sandwiches don't travel well for me without packing containers that take up space. Any ideas?
    6. I hate bears. I call the ranger station each year before I go out and ask if there have been any bear reports. No reports since 20 years ago but I still call. Carrying a .357 or .40 is very heavy but have to do it.
    7. I thought I packed a lot of stuff in the back country in my 100 L pack, but it doesn't sound like I compare to what some of you guys are taking.

What's GU?

I've been looking for individual MRE components, but I haven't had much luck. I see them occasionally, but they're usually from some "survivalist" or somebody's garage business and there's no way to know where, when and why they got them.

I've found manufacturers websites, but none seem to sell components to individuals. One that I found that is in Singapore actually makes a bunch of stuff, including Kosher and Halal food that are typically curries and such, as well as the standard kind of stuff. I'm going to look into it at some point, but I'm guessing I'd have to have a decent size order before they'd talk to me.

The one exception I have found, and that answers another of your questions, is Bridgford sandwiches, they make sandwiches for the MREs. I like them, I put a post on here about them, but if you call them, they'll send you two different sandwiches as samples.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I received it Scott. Thanks again. Mark
    No worries hope it works. Look forward in seeing what you put together. I just packed for my 4 day bear trip and pretty happy with the total pack weight coming in at 28 pds not including rifle or tent. Buddy and i are splitting tent/poles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another thought that might be of some importance; try your food before you head out. it'd be "bad form" to get the runs from some freeze-dried meal you haven't had before! Another issue is hydration. Our instructors used to tell us "if you don't have to piss, you're not drinking enough". It'll help immensely with acclimating.

I always pack in a little Platypus bladder with some good scotch for that "evening nip". that and a couple of Tylenol before sacking out, and it really makes the day nicer! Besides, it's supposed to be a vacation, right? I sure do miss a good cigar to go with the drink, though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a question... Is it best to take Dr tylenol before going to bed or when you wake up the nextt morning?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do two Advil first thing in the morning myself. I didn't have to when I was a little younger. Now days it makes a huge difference as the day goes on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDonald View Post
    Another thought that might be of some importance; try your food before you head out. it'd be "bad form" to get the runs from some freeze-dried meal you haven't had before! Another issue is hydration. Our instructors used to tell us "if you don't have to piss, you're not drinking enough". It'll help immensely with acclimating.

I always pack in a little Platypus bladder with some good scotch for that "evening nip". that and a couple of Tylenol before sacking out, and it really makes the day nicer! Besides, it's supposed to be a vacation, right? I sure do miss a good cigar to go with the drink, though.
    X2 on trying the food stuff out.

If I took my vodka of choice with me, it would likely burn its way through the bladder container and/or be gone long before the first night came along.