Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 10 Posts
    Been working hard on getting my 5-7 day pack weight down but it is tough!! Looks like with everything including food and two water bladders full to start the trip in the weight is going to be between 50-60 lbs.
    I have shed right at 10 lbs 7 of it in the food category.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just covered some miles with the new pack, new insoles, new merino socks, and some really good food that all of you guys have been noting.

I am totally sold on the honey stinger waffles and chocolate bars. I took some GU chomps and that was also just right. I tried the black cherry almond clif bars and u won't get any of the others anymore.

I had 4400 cal in 2.5lbs. I think that is a good start. I noticed doing the mountain house is pretty efficient, but the numbers get bad if you only go for a couple days. If you took the weight of the stove and fuel over a 7 day span, it starts to make good cal/lb.

I have never used a water bladder. I don't understand how everybody has these inside the pack and then compress the pack. Do you just strap it to the outside? Do you get a separate scope bag to put a water bladder in?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I just covered some miles with the new pack, new insoles, new merino socks, and some really good food that all of you guys have been noting.

I am totally sold on the honey stinger waffles and chocolate bars. I took some GU chomps and that was also just right. I tried the black cherry almond clif bars and u won't get any of the others anymore.

I had 4400 cal in 2.5lbs. I think that is a good start. I noticed doing the mountain house is pretty efficient, but the numbers get bad if you only go for a couple days. If you took the weight of the stove and fuel over a 7 day span, it starts to make good cal/lb.

I have never used a water bladder. I don't understand how everybody has these inside the pack and then compress the pack. Do you just strap it to the outside? Do you get a separate scope bag to put a water bladder in?
    I can put a large bladder or two smaller bladders in a kipped compartment on top of my pack. Compression doesn't phase them being on top. I opt for the two smaller bladders because I use one bladder in my day pack and leave the other at camp. It looks like I will be repacking the food items in daily bags to make life a Little easier and faster while at camp or out hunting. I am going to try shooting for 3000 calories a day for seven days at 15lbs max which will be about 4 lbs lighter than my old food numbers. Mark
    Last edited by 25contender; 06-18-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical...live-drab.html

You can get something like this, you can strap it to your ruck and/or to web gear if you have that.

The closure on this one doesn't use velcro, so it doesn't alert the entire forest to your presence if you need to open it.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go to the Camelback website. They have a video of a water bladder being repeatedly run over by different vehicles. I believe they are guaranteed for life. I keep mine in the insulated cover that came with it, and I have had no problems. Its at least 10 years old. My hiking buddies remove the insulating cover to save weight and they are always having puncture leaks. Apparently you can squeeze them all you want, just protect from sharp objects. Also be careful not to put the hose in a bind. It will pinch and kink with enough pressure. Once it does it seems to easily kink in that spot again and will need to be replaced.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Go to the Camelback website. They have a video of a water bladder being repeatedly run over by different vehicles. I believe they are guaranteed for life. I keep mine in the insulated cover that came with it, and I have had no problems. Its at least 10 years old. My hiking buddies remove the insulating cover to save weight and they are always having puncture leaks. Apparently you can squeeze them all you want, just protect from sharp objects. Also be careful not to put the hose in a bind. It will pinch and kink with enough pressure. Once it does it seems to easily kink in that spot again and will need to be replaced.
    I have one of those with the cover and the hooks on the top. I was concerned about the weight also. That sounds like weight that is worth carrying. I will see how I can get that one hooked into my bag. thanks, Todd

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Been working hard on getting my 5-7 day pack weight down but it is tough!! Looks like with everything including food and two water bladders full to start the trip in the weight is going to be between 50-60 lbs.
    I have shed right at 10 lbs 7 of it in the food category.
    I'm glad to see that I'm not too far out in left field as far as weight. For a 6 day trip, I'm at 70lbs for my pack weight, doesn't include my rifle, pistol, holster, ammunition or what I'm wearing.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    I'm glad to see that I'm not too far out in left field as far as weight. For a 6 day trip, I'm at 70lbs for my pack weight, doesn't include my rifle, pistol, holster, ammunition or what I'm wearing.
    I havent included my bow or backpack bow pack yet. The bowholder pack setup for my Mathews Z7 I had made is very light at about 10ozs. I was surprised how much weight I have saved just switching to some different food Items. I was right up there at 70lbs myself for my 7 day pack. As far as the water bladders I have never had any problems with them in the upper part of my pack. I put my extra cloths for cushioning under the bladders.
    Last edited by 25contender; 06-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I havent included my bow or backpack bow pack yet. The bowholder pack setup for my Mathews Z7 I had made is very light at about 10ozs. I was surprised how much weight I have saved just switching to some different food Items. I was right up there at 70lbs myself for my 7 day pack. As far as the water bladders I have never had any problems with them in the upper part of my pack. I put my extra cloths for cushioning under the bladders.
    My 70lbs is after scrubbing through everything and trimming weight...But, I carry a lot of stuff - "Better to have and not need than need and not have" philosophy - and I'm not going to shell out a bunch of money for a new ruck(s).

I use an pack on an ALICE frame, I got a pad for the frame that has pouches for the bladders built in and fits in the space between my back and the frame.

I'll use the drinking tubes depending on what I'm doing, some times they just get in the way and it's easier to use my nalgene bottles.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical...live-drab.html

You can get something like this, you can strap it to your ruck and/or to web gear if you have that.

The closure on this one doesn't use velcro, so it doesn't alert the entire forest to your presence if you need to open it.
    that is so simple!! I think a couple of those could be it for water and food for the initial pack in.