Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Call your shots!

Well the California drawing has closed and hopefully we'll find out soon what zones we'll be hunting. This is going to be a fun thread where we all try to call our shot, and then come back this fall and see how close we all were to getting it right!

Now's the time to year to get excited and make up crap about how good of hunters we are.

I'll go first. I probably won't draw an X-zone, so I'll hunting D3-5 and D6. I'm going to fill both tags. One will be a 4x4 and the other will be a 3x3. Both DIY on public land.

Oh yeah, it's gonna happen this year!

How about you guys?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I am not going to draw a Cali tag as much as I would like to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have my D7 tag in hand. I'll be looking for a nice 4x4 too. Will be hunting in the Ansel Adams Wilderness on a packin hunt with 7 other friends and cousins. This will be our 67th year hunting the same camp.

Not too many Colorado residents will be buying Calif out of state lics & deer tags.Will get to catch a few Piute Cutthroats too. I'll be coming home to colorado afterwards and will probably hunt in the 4th season for a cow elk.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 06-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll bite. Put in for G3 as first choice (LOL); G38 (late season X-10) second; and D14 Third. Have a decent shot at G38, but looking to get D14. Bought a B2 Second Tag. Looking for a 3 X 3 and a 4 X 4. Will kill them both with a Handgun.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have my D7 tag in hand. I'll be looking for a nice 4x4 too. Will be hunting in the Ansel Adams Wilderness on a packin hunt with 7 other friends and cousins. This will be our 67th year hunting the same camp.
    Damn, Colorado. After hunting in the same place for 67 years, you should be on a first name basis with all of the Deer in D-7, as well as their Grand-bucks and Grand-does (LOL).
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    I'll bite. Put in for G3 as first choice (LOL); G38 (late season X-10) second; and D14 Third. Have a decent shot at G38, but looking to get D14. Bought a B2 Second Tag. Looking for a 3 X 3 and a 4 X 4. Will kill them both with a Handgun.
    Nice!

Have you hunted X10 before? There were tags left over last year, which is rare for an X-zone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

Not too many Colorado residents will be buying Calif out of state lics & deer tags.Will get to catch a few Piute Cutthroats too. I'll be coming home to colorado afterwards and will probably hunt in the 4th season for a cow elk.
    That's quite a bit of experience for one zone! Did 4x4's used to be nothing special back in the day in D7? lol I can just imagine the good hunting California must have had 40-50 years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I just checked the site this morning, I'm getting anxious already. I'm focusing on the hunt this year even more than I would otherwise, to keep myself occupied. The sooner I know whether I'll get to hunt something besides D-8, the sooner I'll be able to start planning and studying.

I applied for X-10, with X-9C as my second and D-8 as my third choice, plus got a D-8 second over the counter.

I'll take something with antlers on it... Set your sights low and you won't be disappointed.

I wish I would have checked for X-10 last year, I would have jumped on one of those.

Murphy's Law, since there were leftovers last year and I applied this year, there will be 10 times as many applicants as there are tags this year.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    That's quite a bit of experience for one zone! Did 4x4's used to be nothing special back in the day in D7? lol I can just imagine the good hunting California must have had 40-50 years ago.
    I have made about 35 trips in this area, Check my album for some of the bucks I've taken. I do know exactly where I want to be at legal shooting time on opening morning. Takes about 1 1/2 hour to get there from camp and a climb to about 10,000ft.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I put in for a couple long shot choices for the first and second, and a local D tag I always end up with for third. This year I'm hoping I end up with a really big black bear I have my eye on, and a 3x3 or 4x4 in southern CA. I still have a good amount of meat left from last year so I'll be looking for something descent for what this local D zone can produce. I'm REALLY hoping to draw a random tag for sheep , elk , or antelope! I will also be looking forward to a Wyoming deer hunt this year. Good luck to everyone that put in.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club