Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have a question.......

Where I hunt the bucks usually go into the aspen stands (probably in most places through the west). Especially the big boys and they don't come out very long of we see them come out. I have still hunted the stands but am wondering if there is another tactic?? The stands usually have some open areas in side where they feed and stretch et.. I get the wind in my favor but I feel as though I am not being productive when I go to enter a stand. And I can't use my grandpas suggestion by shooting in front of them to redirect them lol. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Weve had some success by pushing aspen patches. Setup at a good vantage point. Have your range finder ready. Send someone stomping thru. Of course with a bow This would not be a good tactic.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Weve had some success by pushing aspen patches. Setup at a good vantage point. Have your range finder ready. Send someone stomping thru. Of course with a bow This would not be a good tactic.
    Yeah that's it. It's just hard because when they go in them, they disappear and can move to others.

2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Glass is the only thing I can suggest and be ready to stretch out a rifle... Or while they're up and feeding, sneak in and hope you get lucky by it walking by, deer have a bad habit of going back to bed in the same general area.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    A still hunters dream. Can I come with you?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Yeah that's it. It's just hard because when they go in them, they disappear and can move to others.

We would break branches and slam them into trees after getting about 20 yards into the patch. They come a runnin. But always look back the see what all the commotion is. Thats when you squeeze the trigger.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Youngsters and does look back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've noticed that when watching folks go on stalks & deer picking them out while they're trying to make it to some cover. Had one buck found in '07 and was waiting him out for the next season...watched 2 guys try to get within rifle distance of him (he had them pegged about 800yds out despite their stealthiness)...and at about the 500 mark he bolted. The last time I saw that deer for the week he was still churning up dust going over a flat top 2 miles away.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    A still hunters dream. Can I come with you?
    Looks like there's my answer. If you can make it to Reno after hot August nights Then yep! Lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    I've noticed that when watching folks go on stalks & deer picking them out while they're trying to make it to some cover. Had one buck found in '07 and was waiting him out for the next season...watched 2 guys try to get within rifle distance of him (he had them pegged about 800yds out despite their stealthiness)...and at about the 500 mark he bolted. The last time I saw that deer for the week he was still churning up dust going over a flat top 2 miles away.
    I love watching the young bucks that are smart enough to run when the big boy runs. You have to believe they will be a good one some day as opposed to the yearling that stands and stares at you.

I like to position myself to catch the 1:00PM stretch and then re-evaluate a stalk opportunity. I think the key is not to blow them out. Try to pattern one or two even if they are small bucks. the next day the big buck may be in tow.

If you are going to drive muleys, I say drive at them from below. They are not as threatened to bolt if they are above you, and you may get them to walk away instead of a dead run. When they do, you will usually get one turn and look, and that may be the only chance you or your shooter ever get.

Similar concept I use hunting by myself in the bigger canyons. I will sidehill above the creek bottom giving myself a 300yd+/- shot to the far side where it opens up. You have a good chance the bucks will walk out of the canyon away from you, and come right up level to you and turn and look.