Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Chances are the dumb ones will get shot as soon as they show potential.

Thanks
    From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
    Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatrascal View Post
    From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
    Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.
    Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk  
    This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.
    No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.

How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.
    Yeah your spot is great for that! Might do my normal area unless my buddy can give me good info.

Thanks
    You might want to try, once u have pushed them out, head n,s,e,or w. Depending on which direction the wind is blowing , and has the best glassing for the wind and then bunker down for a couple of hours to wait for them to double back , if ur not lucky then wait for a different wind day and try the same thing all over again from a different vantage point, keep trying different winds and spots till u find one that works,once u do u should get yearly success from that general area.