Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 101 Times in 79 Posts
    Chances are the dumb ones will get shot as soon as they show potential.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
    Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatrascal View Post
    From your previous posts I'm assuming you are talking archery hunting. Of course the stalking technique is the #1 choice. Go after them in the aspens but that hardly ever works out. Second, if they are bedding in the same ole group of trees then get in the trees while they are out feeding and ambush them as they come in. Third, stay out of the trees but get close enough to ambush them when they come out of the trees. You might sit there for several hours waiting on them to come out, but thats hunting. Or, ambush them when they come out in the evening into thier feeding area. Fourth, so you blew them out and they took off. Watch the direction that they travel to escape. If possible, have somebody watching the area from afar, sometimes a wise ole muley will use the same escape route multiple times. Bingo, get in the escape route and have somebody lightly push them to you. Another thing I forgot to mention is, ambush them at thier water source.
    Several years ago while archery hunting I ran into the same problem. Its just tough to get them when they live in the trees and your using archery equipment. What I learned was that I needed to choose more archery friendly hunting areas. Areas with cliffs, rocks, scattered brush instead of stands of aspens. I started finding deer bedded under rocks, in sparse brush and under large over hanging trees. My success immediatley went up while choosing this type of terrain. Also, during the middle of the day I'm not laying around waiting for the bucks to come out of the trees in the evening. I'm lurking around all day long following ridgelines peeking over the top or glassing under every piece of shade I can find. You WILL find bucks using this method in less treed areas. fatrascal.
    Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather 

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    338
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Well its pretty open except for the stands of aspen. This is the only reason stopping me from switching to this unit. The others spot I hunt is more open but just doesn't hold big bucks. Just 160,170 class bucks lol. I can't do any scouting. So its hard. If my buddy that told me about this section can show me exactly where he sees them, then my chances really go up.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk  
    This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    This sounds like open country that gets hot in the day. They will predictably step over onto the north side and bed against the edge of the rocks whenever they are not in the trees. Look for a small weep in the shade. Even if it doesnt really have any water, it will be noticeably cooler against those rocks. excellent spot for a fatrascal ambush.
    No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather 

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno, Nevada
    Posts
    479
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    No it's not open country but there are spots open that they will be in before bedding up. You have pinion junipers 3/4's up and then it turns into high country for here. Aspen stands, occasional pinion trees and the shorter brush because its at 9000 some odd feet.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    1,061
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 84 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    How I've gotten close in the same type of terrain is focus on the deer that hang out lower in the mahoganys, junipers, and pines. As it is less thick down there and I can watch exactly where they bed.
    Yeah your spot is great for that! Might do my normal area unless my buddy can give me good info.


    Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

    AKA: Velvet Feather 

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mesa Az.
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You might want to try, once u have pushed them out, head n,s,e,or w. Depending on which direction the wind is blowing , and has the best glassing for the wind and then bunker down for a couple of hours to wait for them to double back , if ur not lucky then wait for a different wind day and try the same thing all over again from a different vantage point, keep trying different winds and spots till u find one that works,once u do u should get yearly success from that general area.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •