Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quality Replacement Boot Laces? Help Needed.

I am in the process of fitting a pair of Lowa Tibets, and finally on the third try (from Zappos) I believe I've found a great fit. The next piece, I would like to order some "replacement" laces.

I have a high instep, and thick calves, so my boots tend to lace up pretty "wide". As a result, I have minimal lace left for the knot. I can get the knot ties, but an extra 3" to 6" of lace on both sides would be nice (6" to 12" total). The pair of Lowa Tibets I have come with what looks like an 84" long lace (unstretched), so I would like to replace that with something like a 90" to 96" long laces.

This got me thinking, when I have replaced my laces in the past, I typically end up with an inferior lace that I am really not happy with. I'd like to hear what you guys like for a quality "replacement" lace.

Also: The Lowa Tibets have a lace lock just above the lower lacing, so I assume the lace diameter should be fairly close in diameter to the original lace for that to work properly.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've always used the OEM replacements but don't have the issue you do. Have you tried laces for the Lowa sheep hunters for the Tibets?
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I've always used the OEM replacements but don't have the issue you do. Have you tried laces for the Lowa sheep hunters for the Tibets?
    IKIC: I've looked at those, but I ended up with a 14 Wide (I started with 13D and it took me 3 pairs to find the right fit) and I think the lace I have is the longest lace from Lowa.

HARDSTALK: I might just do that. The length is just barely long enough now. A common problem for laces in shoes for me.

PACKMULE: A good idea, I assume you mean 550 cord. I have some cord I bought a few years ago at REI that might work, its a smaller diameter than the 550 and a tighter braid.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post

PACKMULE: A good idea, I assume you mean 550 cord. I have some cord I bought a few years ago at REI that might work, its a smaller diameter than the 550 and a tighter braid.
    That's what I'm talking about. I've heard of people using the shrink tubing on the entire lace to give them a coating so they don't freeze together, but I can imagine they would be hard to tie.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. I've heard of people using the shrink tubing on the entire lace to give them a coating so they don't freeze together, but I can imagine they would be hard to tie.
    I've got a pair of boots that came with 550 cord laces. It's actually a real pain in the a** to get it tight in the standard eyelets, it's so thick that it doesn't flex and slip really well. It also doesn't want to stay tied frequently, partly because of the thickness and partly because it's too slick. Double knotting helps, but only delays them coming untied.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have you had a chance for the boots to heat up and stretch? I know with my baffings the laces were a bit short in the beginning. But once your foot settles and the leather heats up and stretches I ended up with ample lace.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Parachute cord cut to your desired length..can put rubber shrink tube on the ends for easier threading.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is something interesting I found, they appear to be able to survive a nuclear blast. They used to be called "ArmorLace". Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ironlace.ca/Home

They area available in 84" 96" and 108"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Here is something interesting I found, they appear to be able to survive a nuclear blast. They used to be called "ArmorLace". Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ironlace.ca/Home

They area available in 84" 96" and 108"
    I have never used them but it sure looks like a good product. I have used Spyder Line and it works very well and you can buy it by the foot and in different Diameters and colors. I had some leftover from re-rigging my outriggers on my boat and tried it for laces. Worked well. I did what was mentioned above and put a small piece of heat shrink on the ends.
    http://www.neropes.com/product.aspx?...&lid=3&pid=201

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do you not want the same Lowa lace in a 90"-96" or are you just wanting a stronger and a bit longer lace? I checked on the Lowa site and they say for replacement laces to let them know the length needed.

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/low.../2130000111/13

I'd imagine you would want something close to the same dia for the lace lock to work well or at least from the Lowa boots my wife and I have it would seem that would be nice to have too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post: