Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,327
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 336 Times in 240 Posts

    Yellowstone Wolves

    I was just watching a show about Yellowstone. They did a apart about the wolves and that a lot of the wolves are getting Mites (Mange). The scientists are say that there could be substantial die off of wolves due to loss of hair and freezing to death in the winter. The Mites are Easaly transferred to each other because they are so social.

    Maybe Mother Nature will do the job on her own. It will be interesting to see if the Gov intervienes to treat the mites.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    189
    Thanked 41 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I was just watching a show about Yellowstone. They did a apart about the wolves and that a lot of the wolves are getting Mites (Mange). The scientists are say that there could be substantial die off of wolves due to loss of hair and freezing to death in the winter. The Mites are Easaly transferred to each other because they are so social.

    Maybe Mother Nature will do the job on her own. It will be interesting to see if the Gov intervienes to treat the mites.
    The Lord works in mysterious ways!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kingwood, TX
    Posts
    1,084
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 101 Times in 79 Posts
    Or they'll really up their calorie intake to boost their body temps. Hope the scientist are right.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Or they'll really up their calorie intake to boost their body temps. Hope the scientist are right.

    This was the scientists reasoning for them killing as many elk as they have. I watched the same program lastnight

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    369
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 67 Times in 51 Posts
    IKIC,

    The wolves on the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage have had the same infestation for decades. I doubt that you'll see a die-off as a result, we didn't. Their fur sure gets mangy looking though and they tend to have better fur early in the winter as opposed to later.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Reno Nv
    Posts
    3,327
    Thanks
    515
    Thanked 336 Times in 240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    IKIC,

    The wolves on the Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage have had the same infestation for decades. I doubt that you'll see a die-off as a result, we didn't. Their fur sure gets mangy looking though and they tend to have better fur early in the winter as opposed to later.

    Bummer! I was hoping this might help with the problem. Thanks.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cottonwood CA
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I saw that program. I just thought that they were pumping people into thinking the wolves were in danger of severe decline to try to get the wolf hunts stopped.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Westerville,Ohio
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Some goof ball group will probably try to get a government grant to figure out a way to give them a Front line treatment. Hey, the government wastes a lot of money. Better watch what i type...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Colorado
    Posts
    218
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    If only...........

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    3,237
    Thanks
    562
    Thanked 366 Times in 320 Posts
    Everyone that dies helps a little!!!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Nm wolves
    By jay in forum Predator
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 10:47 AM
  2. Yellowstone Bison
    By mnhoundman in forum Back at the Tailgate
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 09:53 PM
  3. Yellowstone Wolf
    By Spud in forum Back at the Tailgate
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
  4. wolves
    By ivorytip in forum Predator
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 06:45 AM
  5. Wolves?
    By Wyohunter in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •