Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kansas Mule Deer 2013

My dad drew a unit 1&2 KS mulie tag for this fall on his first try. I am taking him on this hunt as a thank you for taking me hunting my whole life, I'm 27 y/o and he is 61. We are planning on using USO outfitters. This is a muzzleloader hunt and we can go in either Sept or Nov, whenever they find us a big one.

Have any of you hunted western KS? Any tips?

Thanks

Brady

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    What are the season dates?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I haven't hunted there yet, but I plan on it! I'm moving to central Kansas in a month or so. I have some guys I will be working with that I am planning on bringing this subject up to. If I get some good info or any tips on contacts, I'll try and pass them on to you. I have a bad habit of saying that then never being able to find the original post again! Good luck to you! I hear there are some big ones out there.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm assuming you are a non-resident? I've never hunted unit 1 or 2. I've hunted 3 & 7. I lived in eastern Kansas for 10 years. My oldest son Pake & I hold a lifetime licenses. There are some good muleys out there. USO should be able to put you on one. The muzz seasons are typically in September & December. The tag should be valid for both early & late seasons. I think Kansas also legalized scopes for muzz, you might check on that. Lots of walkin hunting, but the pheasant hunters run alot of deer out. Good luck & congrats to your Dad!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunting the early season (sep.) is usually still really hot. The big mulies are still pretty nocturnal, depending on your area they may be in the middle of a corn field all day. But...if you find a big one you will be hunting an unpressured mulie most likely in velvet. Eberle is right, if you hunt the rifle season the deer will be much more educated by pheasant, coyote, and archery deer hunters. But...you could be catching the end of the mulie rut, and some "unseen" big deer seem to show up just in time for the rut (after your sep. hunt) I'd definately ask your outfitter some questions about their success in sep. muzz before you go early. A lot of it depends on the particular area you will be hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My family is from Kansas around Abilene. I can remember going there many years ago when the deer hunting was not quite as good as it is today. I also remember USO outfitters back when they started up in the late 80's and their licensing service. I've seen some hunting shows with them back in the day and they really looked like a good outfit. I hope you have a great hunt. Let us know how it goes. It sounds like an great hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. The tag is good for early and late seasons, we will hunt when Brent (USO's outfitter) tells us we need to hunt. Yes you can use a scoped muzz which will help a lot. I plan on making a video of the hunt and I will share it here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Thanks guys. The tag is good for early and late seasons, we will hunt when Brent (USO's outfitter) tells us we need to hunt. Yes you can use a scoped muzz which will help a lot. I plan on making a video of the hunt and I will share it here.
    Looking forward to seeing that one and or reading about it here. Sounds like it will be an awesome memory or I'm hoping so for you for both you and your dad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Just checked the season dates.. Sept 16-29 for the early muzzleloader might be tough dates.. The bucks will have shed velvet by then, and many will probably have already begun deviating from their summer patterns, and become mostly nocturnal.
    The December 4-15 dates could be sweet. If the bucks are no longer rutting, the will be pounding food sources for sure.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Just checked the season dates.. Sept 16-29 for the early muzzleloader might be tough dates.. The bucks will have shed velvet by then, and many will probably have already begun deviating from their summer patterns, and become mostly nocturnal.
    The December 4-15 dates could be sweet. If the bucks are no longer rutting, the will be pounding food sources for sure.
    Thanks for the dates. We will be flexible on the hunt dates. We will go twice if need be. I'm glad they will be out of velvet and my dad will be glad as well. Crossing our fingers while the horns grow.

Does anyone know how the rainfall looks up there so far this year? It's been great here in Fort Worth, Tx this year! I got 3.8" of rain last week alone!